NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!
Information for Interested Players
No experience is necessary to become a rugbae at UCSB, we have pro coaches and players that are eager to teach you the beautiful sport we love so much! Most members of the team join having never have touched a rugby ball in their life. We want you to come join us no matter your sports background, fitness level, or body type. Rugby is unique in that there is a role on the field for everyone. We also understand that as a student at UCSB you have other responsibilities such as studying and work, and will work with your schedule. The only expectations we have of you as a new member is to attend eager to learn and grow with your teammates.
We are a safe space and welcome players of all races, genders, sexual orientations, and body types. we all embrace our differences and make a better team because of it - we have each other's backs on and off the field!
Is it too late to join? It never is! Join us in Winter 2019 and come to our practices to meet the team and try the sport!
We practice four evenings a week: two weight lifting sessions and two field practices. We will also have optional skills practices throughout the week.
- Tuesday and Thursdays 6-8pm on Rec Cen Field 4
- Bring mouthguard and cleats (if you have them)
- Learn the fundamentals of rugby including attack, defense, rucking, tackling, and more!
- Fitness is done here which sometimes sucks but is crucial to a successful team
Learn to tackle your friends and/or enemies. (Once you learn, tackling is super easy I promise)
And remember- FORM IS ESSENTIAL
- Monday and Wednesday evenings (6-7:30pm)
- We lift at the Athletic Performance Center at a reserved time slot- no need to fight for equipment like at the MAC or rec center gyms
- Dedicated training staff create workouts custom for our team and account for individual needs
- Learn proper lifting form and mechanics
- Get hella gains
- Optional practices
- Wednesday and Friday 2-3 pm @ The Pit
- For each player to work on their skills of choice such as: pass mechanics, kicking, catching, scrumming, evasive tactics, etc.
- Very helpful for new (and old) player development
- Would give 6 out of 5 stars on yelp
The forward pack practicing their scrums during skills practice.
Our games take place Saturday ("Saturday is a rugby day")
. We are in the DI division of the Pacific Desert Rugby Conference (PDRC) . Teams within this division include: UCSD, UCLA, CSUN, UofA, ASU, and GCU. Season begins Winter quarter and ends in April with Nationals.
I know you want to play! Fill out the interest form below, or show up to practice! We can't wait to meet you <3