Volunteers Working Together
Supporters of the East Branch DuPage River Trail (EBDRT) are community members simply advocating for the construction and funding of the EBDRT as a group of volunteers.
The advocacy work goes back to 2014 when one biker wondered when the EBDRT would be finished, considering it had been "on the books" since the early 2000s as part of the Village of Glen Ellyn's Comprehensive Plan.
In October 2017, the Active Transportation Alliance helped connect people who wanted to work together on the project. The ATA also granted the group $250 of seed money to fund some advocacy activities and help build this website.
In 2018, a steering committee was organized to share the work load of raising awareness among the public, contacting and meeting with elected officials and staff from governmental organizations and state agencies such as IDOT, and planning next steps.
A few key volunteers have stepped up to join our "Leaders Committee" so that more people can have input into the direction of the next steps toward trail completion. These are:
- Libby A'Hearne
- David Esposito
- Steve Johnson
- Steve Miller
- Ginger Wheeler
Want to Join the Leaders Committee? Email or Text: 630-835-6959
As you can imagine, bringing awareness to people in a county with a population of 1 million residents without any budget is a challenge. If you'd like to help, here are things you can do:
- Share on your social media: Tell your followers to visit EastBranchTrail.org
- Download the flyer and a blank petition and canvas your neighbors
- Offer to help with data input
- Offer to start and manage a social media channel such as Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat or Pinterest on behalf of EBDRT advocacy (We already have a Facebook Group. If you're on Facebook, please join the group!)
- Offer to contact and work with editors/writers of publications that might be interested in covering the story of the EBDRT.
- Have other ideas? Let us know!