Our full-day Kindergarten is designed in a traditional self-contained format. Our kindergarten program will involve your child in a variety of learning experiences, both formally and informally. Our small class size will ensure individual attention. St. Stephen's Kindergarten runs for 38 weeks from September to June.
Kindergarten Program Highlights:
- Reading/Language Arts – St. Stephen's Kindergarteners take part in a curricular blend of both Houghton-Mifflin's StoryTown curriculum and the FUNDATIONS® reading, writing, and phonics program.
- Mathematics – Students explore a variety of mathematical concepts through the Scott Foresman Math Program.
- Science – Topics such as seasons, weather, the five senses, magnets, dinosaurs, living and non-living things, the rain forest, ocean life and space are covered throughout the year.
- Social Studies – Units encompassing self and family, community helpers, fire safety, Christopher Columbus, Thanksgiving, Native Americans, Christmas Around the World, the Post Office, transportation and our nation will be studied in Kindergarten.
- The Arts – Kindergarten students experience art, music, and physical education activities on a weekly basis.
- Religion – St. Stephen's teaches Christian principles using Bible stories, prayers, and weekly chapel for all students.
- Second Step – This program teaches socio-emotional skills to reduce impulsive and aggressive behavior in children and increases their level of social competence.
- Learning Centers – Daily center rotations focus on alphabet/reading, math, listening activities, art, writing, computers, and science.