of St Michael's Instituition
The Chapel, a paradise to many and a hide-out to some during the early years, was built in the late 1930s. The design was inspired by the beautiful Sainte Chapelle on the Ile de la Cité in Paris, France, designed by La Sallian Brother Vernier Auguste. Who also designed the St John's Institution, Kuala Lumpur (1908), and the exquisite chapel at St Francis' Institution, Malacca (1937).
The construction was supervised by Father Coppin himself and completed in 1927. It was among the first schools to use reinforced concrete for better fire resistance. Granite coping was used for the gables and the cross. The cost of the original block came to $200,000. The chapel was built along with the budget, met mainly from the Brothers' savings over the previous sixty years.
The foundation stone was laid on 17th June 1922 by Mr C W C Parr, the British Resident of Perak, marking the commencement of work on the building. When he declared the foundation stone well and truly laid he added that it gave him great pleasure to come to ipoh for that ceremony, first on account of the importance of English Education in the States
Secondly because of the great and good work the Christian Brothers had done and were doing in the cause of Education. The State had indebted to bodies like the Christian Brothers, who devoted their energies to this great cause by replying on behalf of the management of the Rev Bro. James Visitors presented his sincere thanks to Major Parr and His Grace, Archbishop Menit, for their respective parts in the ceremony.
He paid a high tribute to the work done by Rev. Father Coppin, the founder of the School, during the trying years of the War and until the management was handed over to the Brothers. He also referred, in the highest term of praise, to the work of the first Headmaster, Mr. PJ. Mor Singh. It was mainly due to his unflagging zeal, untiring efforts, undaunted courage.
Above all, to his unblemished career that the School all along maintained a reputation for success, efficiency, and high tone. It was a great pleasure for the Brothers to find such a good spirit prevailing in the School at the time they took it over. Many citizens of Ipoh witnessed the historical ceremony. The building was finished in 1923, blessed by Father Coppin on the Feast Day of St John de la Salle.
Subscription lists were started, giving partial coverage of the expenses, but owing to the rubber slump prevailing at the time, only a very small sum was realised. The name of Ms. M. Tavoira deserves mention in this connection, as her list brought in $2,109 Cash subscription helped much in the building and furnishing of the School Chapel.
This occupation is gradual. The final move was made on the 15 of May 1923, Feast of St. John Baptist de la Salle. The building was blessed by the Rev Fr. Coppin, the ever zealous founder, and the Brothers took formal possession under the special protection of their holy Founder. The question was even discussed as to whether it would not be better to transfer the patronage to him by calling the Institution by his name.
It was not forgotten that he had a great devotion to the great Archangel and had looked up to him as a special Patron of his work. His disciples were certainly acting following his spirit in continuing to regard him as a special heavenly Protector. However, the statue of John Baptist de la Salle, which was won, was ordered while the matter was still under discussion.
Was duly placed in its present position (Central Gable) on the 27th of July, after having been blessed by Archbishop Merel. On the 14th of September, the chapel and all the articles used in it were blessed by the Rev Father. Coppin. Immediately after the blessing, he celebrated Mass and the Brothers had at last the happiness of having their Lord and Master present amongst them in the Most Blessed Sacrament of his Love.
Near the chapel, then were used as the Brothers' quarters. Brother Ultan Paul, A famous and well-known Brother, served God, served our Institution, and served our Chapel. Every Friday, brother Ultan Paul will have Catechism classes at the back of the Chapel, in a room with a chalkboard and no light but God's light. He sometimes celebrates Mass with other priests and leads the children of St. Michael's Institution on God's path.
During the Japanese Invasion in the year of 1941, St Michael’s housed Japanese soldiers as a place of office, murder and torture. The chapel was then used as the State Governor's chamber / State Governor's personal suite. Officially, the Japanese surrendered from the war at the year of 1951. The chapel was never used until the time arrived for the centennial celebration of St. Michael's Institution, Ipoh.
Before the celebration, the chapel faced quite a number of problems. It was left in isolation for many years, partly due to wear and tear of certain parts and serious infestation of termites, rendering it unsafe. On September 24, 2011 when it was officially reopened. was filled to the brim during the Thanksgiving Mass. The turnout was beyond expectation as those who came included many from outside Ipoh.
Old boys, who included former teachers, clergies, parents who are true-blue Michaelians and the many contributors whose generosity has made the opening of the chapel possible. Right Reverend Sebastian Francis, Bishop of Penang, celebrated the St. Michael's Institution Centennial Mass and blessed everyone who attended the Mass.
From that year onwards, every year, the St. Michael's Institution Catholic Society always organises mass during the feast of St. Michael's, where the Old Michaelian Association will have their Old Michaelian Dinner.
Source: St. Michael's Institution 2012 Magazine
(Right Reverend Sebastian Francis, Bishop of Penang)
His Eminence celebrated St. Michael's Institution Centennial Mass on 29th September 2012 in celebration of St. Michael's Feast day