Rusty Water Coming from your Faucets?
There are times of when the township fire department flushes hydrants.
- Hydrant flushing enhances water quality by flushing sediment from the mainline pipes, verifies the proper operation of hydrants and valves, and maintains firefighting capability.
- If you see a crew flushing a hydrant on your street, avoid running tap water and using the washing machine or the dishwasher until the flushing is done.
- You may want to keep bottled water on hand for use during times when flushing will occur. If you see hydrant flushing crews working in the area, please drive carefully and treat them like any other road construction crew.
My neighbor’s dog is always barking. I’ve told them about it but it continues.
How does my auto license fee fund the township? Correct license plate renewal helps fund township.
When you renew your auto license plates be sure the taxing district on your form indicates you reside in Sheffield Township. It determines the amount of permissive tax you pay and this tax is then distributed to the township. Make sure the clerk knows you reside in Sheffield Township (not Lorain). These funds are used to plan, construct, maintain and repair public roads, highways, and streets, according to ORC 4504.02.
You do not need a permit in order to have a garage sale. A garage sale cannot last more than one week.
Damage to your Mailbox by a Township Snowplow
If a township’s snowplow damages your mailbox:
Your mailbox will be repaired or replaced by the township with a standard rural type mailbox on a 4×4 wood post provided that:
- Your damaged mailbox had been installed the proper distance from the road berm. (See link below.)
- In addition, if the mailbox and its post were deteriorated, the decision to replace either part will be at the discretion of the Elyria Township Road Department.
Open Burning: Call before you burn.
Open Burning of trash consisting of plastics, rubber, cans, glass, garbage, leaves, and grass clippings is prohibited by the Ohio Fire
Codes and EPA. Call 440.277.4380 or email
FireDept@sheffieldtownship.com for clarification.
Snow Parking Ban: The sheriff’s department has snow ban stickers and should be monitoring the streets to which they apply. If you have any questions about specific streets, leave a message for the road department at 440.324.3517.
Disposing of Mattresses and Upholstered Furniture
Due to the increasing number of bed bug infestations, all mattresses and upholstered furniture MUST be wrapped in plastic in order to be picked up. If a mattress has been ordered for removal and is out for collection on your scheduled bulk pickup day and it is not wrapped in plastic, the hauler will NOT remove the mattress. ALL mattresses, whether infested with bed bugs or not, are now required to be wrapped in plastic. It is a health hazard to the drivers, workers, and residents for the mattresses to be exposed.The plastic isn't necessary when disposing mattresses and upholstered furniture during Dumpster Days.