You have the right to ask for a hearing if you think there is something wrong with your CalFresh case. You can also ask for a hearing if you think you were incorrectly denied for CalFresh.

The county office will send you a written Notice of Action before it stops, reduces or changes your benefits. If you think the action is wrong you can ask for a hearing. If you request a hearing before the change takes place, your benefits will continue as normal until the hearing or your certification period ends.

A hearing is a meeting with people from the CalFresh office and it is run by a person called a hearing official who must be fair and does not work for your local CalFresh office. If you don’t want to go to the hearing along, you can bring a friend or someone with you.

How to ask for a hearing:

  • Call toll free: 1-800-952-5253 OR

  • Submit an online request OR

  • Fill out the back of any Notice of Action

For free help with a hearing:

Contact your local legal aid office

Your rights:

  • If you need an interpreter, the state can provide one for free.

  • You should receive notice of the time, date and place of the hearing at least 10 days prior to the hearing.

  • You can request to review your case file prior to the hearing.

  • The county will prepare a position statement to present at the hearing. You can request a copy of the statement two business days before the hearing.

  • You should receive a hearing and hearing decision no later than 60 days after the day the hearing was requested.