Miss to Mrs.

Changing Your Name:

Name change laws vary from state-to-state so you should always check which rules apply to your situation.

Here are some tips to help you through the process...

1. Get your marriage license.

Before you can change your name, you'll need the original marriage license with the raised seal. You can call your local city clerk's office where your license was filed to get copies.

2. Change your Social Security card.

Visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the application for a new Social Security card. Don't worry, you'll keep the same number - just your name will change. Find your local Social Security Administration office and mail in your application. You should received your new card within 10 business days.

3. Change your license at the DMV.

Visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles to get a new driver's license with your new name. Make sure you bring multiple forms of identification - your old driver's license, marriage certificate and your new social security card.

4. Change your bank accounts.

Visit a branch location and bring identification with your new name (driver's license, social security card and marriage certificate). This is a good time to set up a joint account if you haven't done so already. You can request new checks and debit/credit cards with your new name; however, be aware that some banks charge fees for these services.

5. Everything else.

Once you have a social security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Be sure to notify:

  • Employers
  • Post office
  • Car title & registration
  • Electric and other utility companies
  • Credit card companies
  • Schools and alumni associations
  • Landlord or mortgage company
  • Insurance companies (auto, home, life)
  • Doctors' offices
  • Loans
  • Voter registration office
  • Investment account providers
  • Your attorney (legal documents/your will, etc.)
  • Passport office
  • Airlines