We are so excited to have you visit us and learn what we have to offer middle school students across NC!
The NC Regional Future City Competition is a statewide program that teaches 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade students problem solving techniques through hands-on project- and problem-based learning. Middle School students learn a problem-solving process called the Engineering Design Process (EDP) as they imagine, plan and create cities of the future. Working as a team, students along with an educator and an engineering mentor, plan a city using SimCity ™ software; describe their research and implement solutions to engineering problems via city essays, plan and create tabletop, 3-D, scale models of their cities using recycled materials; and finally, present their ideas before judges at annual regional competitions.
The NC REGIONAL FUTURE CITY COMPETITION will be held at the NC State University McKimmon Center on SATURDAY, JANUARY 25th, 2020. (INCLEMENT WEATHER DATE: Sunday, February 2, 2020). The year’s Future City theme or challenge is “Clean Water: Tap Into Tomorrow ”.
To participate in the program, please tell us about you, your school and your students by registering with the National Future City website! The registration deadline is October 31st but please register early to receive news and updates about the program, win fun giveaways, and to experience the most from the program! When registering, please ignore the statement that mentions a registration fee – Future City is FREE to all NC Schools and students. Each participating school may send up to three teams to the competition. After registering, please complete this Competition Intent to let us know if you 1) plan to compete, 2) are not competing but would like to receive Future City materials, or 3) plan to come the competition and bring students to learn about the program.
We look forward to working with you to bring the BEST and most AUTHENTIC STEM EXPERIENCE to your students!
**** REGISTER TO BECOME A MENTOR HERE ****
**** REGISTER TO VOLUNTEER HERE ****
**** REGISTER YOUR TEAM HERE ****
Regional Coordinator: Nancy Shaw; firstname.lastname@example.org; 919-515-9731 (office); 919-515-8702 (fax)
Want to visit the National Future City website to learn more?
How To Begin!
- Register for the Competition
- Form your Teams!
- Keep on top of Deadlines
- Research your Future City
- Write your City Essay
- Load your City Model, bring your best Presentation and compete with us in Raleigh, NC.
Interested in being part of the 2020 Future City Competition?
Save the Date for January 25, 2020
"Clean Water: Tap Into Tomorrow"
- The 2019-2020 Future City theme is The year’s Future City theme is “Clean Water: Tap Into Tomorrow ”.
- Remember, Future City for NC Schools is FREE. Please disregard the $25 fee when you register and do NOT send money. Just click OK and complete the registration form!
- The 2019-2020 updated Future City Program Handbook will be available online from the National Future City website on Monday, July 15, 2019. Go to "resources" at the top of the page, select Program Handbook, then click the handbook link to download.
- Future City - NC Deliverable Due Dates are available and have been posted. Please check the NC Future City calendar!