Built in the early fifteenth century this building is an exquisite example of perpendicular architecture with its tall crocketed pinnacles, curved battlements and large windows. This Grade 1 listed building is a smaller version of Kings College Cambridge which was built at the same time.
Listed as the Chantry Chapel of All Souls this beautiful building was thought to have been a bequest by Henry Chichele.
Following the suppression of the Chantries, it became a Grammar School in 1542 and continued with that function until 1906. The last headmaster was Dr. Vann whose son, Bernard Vann, was awarded the Victoria Cross. On the inside and outside walls are examples of seventeenth and eighteenth century school boy graffiti.
Also of interest are the Mass Dials which relate to the six daily offices (service times) and the stained glass roundel in the west windows which are fragments from Walsingham Parish Church. This building was carefully restored by Temple Moore early in the twentieth century and in 1942 was re-dedicated as a chantry chapel.
It is interesting to note that Lord Vaux was so enchanted by this building that in 1905 he had an exact replica built in the grounds of Great Harrowden Hall, now home to Wellingborough Golf Club, as a private Catholic Chapel.