Sweet Search - Search engine for K - 12 students, "every website in Sweet Search has been evaluated by our research experts."
(see additional search engines below)
Scaffolding Methods for Research Paper Writing ReadWriteThink.org Lesson Plan
Instructional videos ( all content areas )
- Diigo - Social Bookmarking tool with highlighting and annotations features.
- UDL Strategy Tutor
- Reference Portals
- EverNote - Powerful note taking tool; capture, clip, save and share - watch the video but think of the education applications
Great article that explains how to use EverNote as a Research Tool
- See Graphic Organizers for help structuring your project ideas
- NoteStar - an Internet utility to assist in the preparation of research papers. Teachers and students can set up research projects with topics and sub-topics. Students may then take advantage of NoteStar's many features to collect and organize their notes and prepare their bibliography page.
- Bib Me - Bibliography Maker
- EasyBib - Bibliography Composer
- Research & Documentation Online Download sample papers (MLA & APA styles) with Hacker & Fister's well-known guide
- NoodleBib MLA Starter
- Citation Machine >
- Zotero - Open source citation manager, with syncing, collaboration, and an easy way to collect references (browse to a page with citation information and click a button). Uses plugins for Firefox, Open Office, and Microsoft Word. Generates inline citations and bibliographies in any style with the click of a button.
- UberNote (for tagged notecards and notes)
- Online Note-Taking Tool(an interactive resource from the ReadWriteThink.org website) - can print notes or copy and paste them into Word.
- Google Notebook
Alternate search tools
- Clusty(clustered search with vocabulary and category supports)
- Grokker (offers both map and cluster results)
- Kartoo (visual search shows relationships)
- Quintura (tag clouds suggest keywords and categories)
- Soople (busts out Google's features)
- Jux2 (compare Google, Yahoo, and MSN with One Search)
- Debbie Abilock's Choose the Best Search Engine for Your Information Need
- Twurdy(coded for reading levels)
- InstaGrok - Create interactive concept maps, an amazing visual research tool with numerous supporting features.
Search engines for Kids
- Ask for Kids (reference, question answering)
- KidsClick! (directory selected by librarians)
- Yahoo Kids (for grades 2-7 organized by topic)
Library resource portals
- Internet Public Library great resources on any subject for any age
- Multnomah County Library Homework Center subject-organized resources for the most-assigned projects
News, Magazines, more
Important (very!): Your state or provincial library likely provides a collection of valuable subscription databases providing access to articles, ebooks, video, and more! These resources include materials written at developmentally appropriate levels. The Internet Public Library offers a list of these resources by state. Find your state and ask your librarian for passwords!