Free Math Apps - based on visual models, not your mother's kill and drill apps. These are awesome; from the Math Learning Center.
Some students struggle with organizing their written work and forming numbers and symbols. These tools compensate for mechanical issues:
- Number Navigator - A program that assists those with fine motor problems to set out columnar arithmetic, without the need for a spreadsheet
- Big, Simple Talking Calculator - "The Big Simple Talking Calculator application was designed to be a full screen calculator with large buttons that covers the following basic functions: +, -, *, /, x^2, x^y, 1/x, %, square root, memory store and memory recall."
- FunctionVisualizer - Online Function Visualizer - displays the graph of arbitrary F(x) function.
- GraphCalc - Online Graphing Calculator
- Create A Graph>
- e-Tutor Graphic Calculator Graph equations
- FooPlot - Online plotting tool
- PDF Pad - Create and print graph paper
- EfoFex - Higher Level Math - free for students with special needs
Time Telling Tools
- Time Tool - Fantastic time telling tool including showing how time passes. Some students have difficulty with that concept.
- Time for Time - Online analog clock, can manipulate clock and show the digital time equivalent. Great for Interactive WhiteBoards or touchscreen monitors
Virtual Math Manipulatives
- Brainingcamp Virtual Manipulatives and Lessons - Grade 6-9 animated lessons and interactive activities along with question sets to assess student understanding.
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives - a library of uniquely interactive, web-based virtual manipulatives or concept tutorials, mostly in the form of Java applets, for mathematics instruction (K-12 emphasis)
- Glencoe Math Manipulatives for K- 8, use the Help menu to understand how to use this online resource
- Geoboard - an online, virtual geoboard.
- Illuminations - variety of Interactive activities
Tools that promote Math understanding:
- Code.org - easily learn how to code with this fantastic website
- A Maths Dictionary for Kids " A Maths Dictionary for Kids is an animated, interactive online math dictionary for students which explains over 600 common mathematical terms and math words in simple language." Some students with math disabilities struggle with understand math language, symbols and terms; this site builds understanding. Very cool.
- ConceptuaMath - Interactive fraction tools for instruction which align with NCTM standards. The overview video is available here:
- Adapted Mind - interactive math activities for K - 8
- WebMath - K- Higher=Ed math
- Math Playgroundexcellent site for Math activities for K - 8, make sure to explore the Mathcasts. Mathcasts allow students to review math when THEY need to.
- Thinking Blocks - a creative, interactive math resource to help students understand how to solve word problems. Watch the video here to learn how to use it.
- K-7 Mathcasts Project - Short videos (using VoiceThread) of math concepts by grade level and strand. Great for students to review at home.
- IXL MATH pre-K through 8th grade activities
- Real World Math Using Google Earth
- The Math Forum This is a site that will answer many different types of math questions.
- Talking Calculator- A calculator that reads the numbers and symbols to students
- Wolfram Alpha - "Computational Knowledge Engine"
- MC 2 Math Resources - A compilation of free online calculators, plotters and interactive visualizations categorized according to en.wikipedia.org
Free Training Tutorial - A long list of free online math games. Teachers can select games and create their own specific math lesson.
SumDogMath - 100 Numeracy topics at ten levels. Teachers can upload their class list. Ability to customize specific math such as add numbers up to five, ordering numbers up to 20. Students can log in and save scores. Audio can be distracting for some students (turn it off in the Talent Game activity if that is the case) as can the time pressure.