PTO Meetings are a great way to get information about what's going on at the school. Special topics and guest speakers will help you navigate these early teen-age years.
2018/2019 PTO Meetings
General Meetings: Get updates from the PTO Board and Principal Burdette, Listen and learn from speakers about topics to help parents and kids through these middle school years. Topics are announced closer to the meeting date.
Dates and Times: 6:30-8 p.m. in the Teachers' Lounge
2018: November 6 (topic: Bullying), November 29 (topic: Principals from Beckman, Foothill, and Tustin High Schools share information about their school)
2019: January 24, February 28, March 28, April 25 (topics to be announced soon)
PTO Meeting Recap
September 20, 2018 -- Building our Community
Thanks to everyone who attended our first PTO meeting of the year. We spent some time getting to know each other. Attendees signed up to help with various fundraisers and committees. If you weren't able to attend, you can contact the PTO directly to sign up and help with any of these events. Email email@example.com
--Family Movie Night (November) --Spaghetti & Bingo Night (January) --Spring Jog-A-Thon --8th Grade Events
September 14, 2017 -- Internet Safety
Do you know how kids are using Social Media? Do you know what you need to do to keep them safe?
Here is the handout that Deputy Sakamoto shared with us. It contains good information about some of the most popular apps, how they are used, and what we should be concerned about.
If you missed the meeting, here are a few key things that stood out:
- Kids are sharing a lot of personal information about themselves (often innocently) that predators can use to locate them and masquerade as a "friend."
- Social Media is here to stay so we all need to know how to use it responsibly. We need to have candid conversations with our kids about what is acceptable on-line behavior.
- As parents, we should be inspecting what our kids are doing on-line frequently. This includes going through their pictures, texts, and apps.
- Kids should not have devices (mobile phones, iPads, etc) in their bedroom at night. If they use their device as an alarm, then buy them an alarm clock instead. Use "old fashioned" solutions to take the place of modern-day devices.
- Check out the information on these sites to help you navigate Social Media and conversations with your kids. Get them involved in learning so it doesn't seem like a lecture. Ask them what they are learning in "Digital Citizenship" in Homeroom Period right now, and use that as a starting point for conversations.
You don't have to be a PTO member to attend a PTO meeting! These meetings are intended to provide all parents with valuable information to help you navigate middle school years with your student. We welcome your participation.
If you have any suggestions for meeting topics, please email: ColumbusTustinPTO@gmail.com