Who am I?
I have a masters degree in Foreign Language Education, specializing in TEFL (Ohio State University). Additionally, I have a PHD in Education, specializing in instructional design for online learning (Capella University). My research was a case study examining how students develop strategies to remain engaged in learning while using mobile technology. I graduated with distinction, and my dissertation was noted for exemplary research and writing.
Most of my professional career has been teaching in international schools, universities and organizations overseas. My teaching career began in the Peace Corps in Cameroon, and then once I had my Master's degree I moved to Thailand where I taught and consulted for 16 years in schools, universities, businesses, and other organizations. I developed custom curriculum for courses in all of these places. My main focus was on English as a second language, communication, technology, and publishing. I was also the head of the Intensive English program and the technology director at an international school where I taught for 8 years.
Near the end of my time in Thailand and since then, my main work has shifted towards Education Technology. I have now led the technology departments in different schools across Asia and Africa. I began teaching technology to students, teachers, and others and have designed custom technology curriculum to meet particular needs. I helped these schools develop technology systems and virtual learning environments to expand student learning. Additionally, I began developing and delivering custom professional development and teacher training for ESL immersion, technology integration, and different approaches to teaching and learning. I have also led or been the part of school accreditation and college counseling programs.
I've always looked at the learning environment and student engagement in terms of how we can create interactive experiences. When students feel safe/secure and are given a mix of learning opportunities, they will more likely be empowered to independently engage in their learning. So, I try to help design learning environments where students can take advantage of multiple opportunities to interact, communicate, reflect and use higher order thinking skills -- and thus better internalize meaningful knowledge.
Why am I passionate about instructional design and student engagement?
When I joined the Peace Corps I was assigned a position in a vocational school teaching carpentry and math to middle and high school students. I was fresh out of college and wasn't really a carpenter or a qualified math teacher (I had experience in these areas, but was not nearly an expert). When I arrived in Cameroon and went before my class for the first time I quickly realized they were much more talented than me, as they already were apprentices or worked in shops around the city. The problem was they couldn't explain or discuss what they were doing -- they couldn't pass the national exam (written in the UK) to get their certificate. So, over time, they taught me carpentry and helped me with my math, and I taught them English and communication skills. This was a LIFE CHANGING experience.
Since that time I've focused on ESL immersion, communication and technology integration -- on getting learners to interact. All courses and PD I've designed have focused on these three areas. I figure that when learners can interact with one another, their resources, and the wider world, they can better use language and develop the required knowledge (and more).
Link for May 2018 resume: Click here
Where I've worked
- The United States
Higher Education work
- Bangkok University
- Chulalongkorn University
- Ramkhamhaeng University
- University of San Diego
- Ruamrudee International School, Bangkok
- American International School of Guangzhou
- Qingdao No.1 International School of Shandong
- English Modern School of Doha
- Stonehill International School, Bangalore
- Khartoum International Community School
- Bangkok Bank, Bank of Ayuthaya
- Bangkok Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways
- Crown Properties Insurance
- Chulalongkorn Hosptital:
- SICU and Anesthesia departments
- May & Baker Pharmaceuticals
- Spaulding and Håwi Advertising
- Thailand National Housing Authority
- Education Technology Director
- One-to-One laptop, iPad, and virtual learning programs
- Learning management and student information systems manager
- TechEx Teacher Conferences, Bangkok, 1999, 2001, 2003
- ISTEC Thailand (international School Technology Exchange Committee)
- Weekend workshops
- ESL immersion, Teaching methodologies, and IT Skills
- Extended workshops and training
- ESL immersion, and Technology integration
- Model United Nations conference organizer
- University of Pennsylvania, Guangzhou, Qingdao, Bangalore, Khartoum
- Phd in Education, specializing in Instructional Design for Online Learning, graduating with distinction (Capella University)
- MA in Foreign Language Education, majoring in TEFL (Ohio State University)
- BA in Political Science (University of Pennsylvania)
- Secondary School Teaching certificate in social studies for international schools (The College of New Jersey)
- Teacher Trainer for Teaching ESL in Mainstream Classrooms (Department of Education, South Australia)
- Teacher Trainer for Apple Computers (Singapore)
- Google Apps for Educators administrator(Google Suite)
- Moodle course and site developer