More About Arcadia Volleyball Club
Arcadia Volleyball Club (AVBC) was founded in 2013 by Flora Yang to foster and share her passion for volleyball with her daughter, Isabell Yang (varsity at Arcadia High School and soon to join Caltech's Volleyball Team) and her friends, starting with only a U15 team for the 2013-2014 SCVA season. Since then, it has expanded with a youth program starting in 2014 and a new U15 team in the 2016-2017 season. As a small club, Arcadia Volleyball Club has a strong commitment to players and parents to find dedicated and experienced coaching staff as needed. In all seasons it has had a head coach and a minimum of one, and often more, assistant coaches constantly on court for each team. Team and youth practices are typically run with a player-to-coach ratio of 6 to 1 or less, often made possible with the help of a number of dedicated volunteer coaches who share a passion for volleyball.
Our practice sites in Temple City and Pasadena offer a convenient and affordable option for players and parents living in or near the western half of San Gabriel Valley, in the areas of Arcadia, Temple City, Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, San Gabriel, Alhambra, Monterey Park, Rosemead, El Monte, Monrovia, Duarte, Baldwin Park, Covina, Altadena, La Crescenta-Montrose, La Canada Flintridge, Glendale, Eagle Rock, and Highland Park. the Our club teams have comprised of student athletes from the following high schools: Arcadia, Temple City, Crecenta Valley, Mark Keppel, San Marino, and other schools in the area.
At the Club volleyball level, AVBC fills a critical affordability gap between clubs designated for the underprivileged and elite clubs that can charge $4,000+ per season. We are very fortunate to have access to a collegiate gym (Caltech's gym for NCAA sports) to hold most practices, access to Molten Super Touch volleyballs (used for SCVA tournaments and in NCAA women's competition), and offer highly favorable player-to-coach ratios due to many dedicated volunteer coaches in addition to the regular staff coaches. Three two-hour practices are held each week except for weeks with an SCVA tournament. SCVA is the governing body for club volleyball in Southern California; our club is registered with SCVA and play in the regional tournaments.
At the Youth volleyball level, AVBC introduces children to volleyball at an earlier age than is found in the school system which tends to begin volleyball in middle school. Our program is structured in 3 parts: strength building, skills training, and skills application through scrimmaging. We train with lighter volleyballs specifically designed for younger players, the VolleyLite balls for the 4:30-6:00 session and U-12 volleyballs for the 6:00-7:30 session.
The foundation of AVBC has been the cohesive bond between the players, parents, and coaches. AVBC has been very fortunate to have many experienced volleyball players volunteer as coaches to support the Director and Head Coaches' vision of AVBC in providing a high quality club and youth experience within reach of the masses. The following listing is our attempt to recognize the contributions of everyone who have made this possible and express our utmost gratitude.
Thank you to our Players, Parents & Coaches!
Summer of 2017
- U15 team: Head Coach Tomo Sato (Caltech Club Volleyball), Assistant Coach Andy Masmela (USYVL Certified Coach)
- Youth Head Coach: Eugene Shen
- Youth Assistant Coaches: Elise Sum, Adriana Chan, Isabell Yang, Vicky Chen, Ashley Grinstead, Qian Qian Gao and Volunteer Coach Tomo Sato
- U18 team: Head Coach Jerry Mulder and Assistant Coach Kurt Mulder (Coaches, Crescenta Valley High School)
- U15 team: Head Coach Abe Soriano (Coach, Arcadia High School) and Volunteer Coach Tomo Sato
- Youth: Head Coaches Eugene Shen and Flora Yang; Assistant Coaches Kelline Coo, Robert Ip, and Adriana Chan
- U18 team: Director Flora Yang; Head Coaches Eugene Shen and Abe Soriano; Volunteer Coaches Tomo Sato, Ray Young (Westside Volleyball)
- Youth: Head Coach Flora Yang; Assistant Coach Eugene Shen
- U16 team: Head Coach Charles Liao (Coach, San Marino High School); Volunteer Coaches Tjonnie Li (University of Cambridge setter), Tomo Sato, Ed Young, Ray Young
- Youth: Head Coach Flora Yang; Volunteer Coach Eugene Shen
- U15 team: Director & Head Coach Flora Yang; Volunteer Coaches: Tjonnie Li, Tomo Sato, Ed Young
- Many thanks to core Caltech Volleyball Club members for practice scrimmages.