Storm Lake Community School District
A Multi-Tiered System of Support
What is a Comprehensive School Counseling Program?
- 1 in 5 children ages 13-18 have or will have a serious mental illness.
- 50% of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin be age 14 and 75% by age 24.
- The average delay between the onset of symptoms and intervention is 8-10 years.
- Approximately 50% of students age 14 and older with a mental illness drop out of high school.
- In 2011, suicide became the second leading cause of death for youth ages 15-24 in the U.S.
Click on this link for more information on mental health from the Iowa Department of Education.