Fannin-Cooper Farm is on the National Historic Register
Honored in 2013 as a Georgia Centennial Farm
Description: The farm is located on Smith Road in eastern Paulding County, approximately seven miles east of Dallas, and about one-half mile west of the Cobb County border. The property includes a main farmhouse, another small house, several historic outbuildings, and historic farmland. All of the buildings are located in proximity to each other on either side of Smith Road. Built c.1887, the main farmhouse is a one-story, central-hall plan house with rear ell and shed-roofed front porch. The house has double-hung sash windows, a metal roof, painted wood siding, stone foundation, and chimneys of brick and stone. A combination kitchen/dining room and bath were added adjacent to the rear ell in the 1960s. The interior has the original wood floors and beadboard or tongue-and-groove walls and ceilings. Other buildings include a small c.1882 house with board-and-batten siding; a large c.1887 transverse crib barn; a small c.1882 transverse crib barn with open bays on each side; a c.1882 corn crib; and an undated wellhouse. The barns have been covered with new wood siding. The working farm contains two trout streams, fenced pastureland, and woods. Located throughout the property are mature trees, shrubs, and flowering plants.
Significance: The house is at the local level of significance in the areas of agriculture and architecture as an excellent and intact example of a late 19th -century farm in Paulding County including the historic farmhouse, outbuildings, and agricultural landscape.
Mr. Almain Cooper at the main barn with beloved family dog Dallas.
Almain Cooper bought the farm in the 1960s from Will Fannin, who lived on the farm with his sister Narcissus until her death.
He owned a grocery store in the location of the present-day address is 300 Main Street in downtown Dallas. Fannin was a customer of Mr. Cooper and came to him first because he knew he wanted a farm.
Originally, the state acquired the farm land from Native Americans and deeded it to Thomas Everitt in 1831 as part of a program that paid Revolutionary War soldiers with land.