Mt Albert, Mt Eden, Mt Roskill

Mt Albert

Nurse Kemp. Arrived in New Zealand c.1887 with Dr Dalziel from England. (NZH 14 August 1907). Hobson Street (1900-c.1903). Moved to Thornewood Private Hospital, Dominion Road Mt Eden, 1906, George St, Kingsland 1908, then 31 Wanganui Ave, Ponsonby 1911. No further record found.

Nurse Hartshorne, Glenmore, New North Road (1913-1917)

Nurse Keay, "Willesden", Taylors Road. (1917) Was at Dominion Road by 1919.

Norvana Nursing Home, 10 Malvern Road, Morningside (1917-1923). Practitioners: H Munn (1917-1921) L Munro (1921-1923; possibly moved to Ponsonby)

Nurse Mary Towers, 37 Bannerman Road, Morningside. (1922-c.1937). Died 31 May 1952, buried at Waikumete with her youngest daughter Mrs Annie Muriel McIndoe (died 1 February 1922).

Nurse Clarke, 55 Taylors Road, Morningside, (1924-c.1929), 47 Western Springs Road (c.1930-1936). Married to Joe Clarke, bootmaker,

Nurse Hilda Mary Coyle (Midwife, later private maternity home from c.1938 at 464 Sandringham Road/1A Mars Ave). Hilda Mary Mahon was born in Dunedin in 1887. She married Victor Albert Coyle (b. 1887, Auckland) on 23 November 1910, trained at St Helens Hospital and registered as a midwife in June 1921. She also advertised that she was a district nurse. The Coyles lived in various Mt Albert and Mt Eden addresses, Victor a builder, and Hilda practicing in clients' own homes. Then around 1928, they settled at 464 Sandringham Road, Hilda still travelling around Auckland until setting up her own maternity home there by late 1941. Hilda died 6 October 1967, and was buried at Mangere Cemetery. Her husband Victor died in 1968.

Nurse Lyons (Moved from Pt Chevalier) , "Anglesea"/Angecino Private Hospital, 620/626 New North Road (1929-1931), then Nurse Atkinson (1931-c1938)

Glamis Obstetric Hospital (1929-1971). 788 New North Road, Mt Albert. Practioner(s): Dr J A Paterson

I don't have much info immediately to hand about Glamis Hospital, but there are files at Archives NZ in Mangere dating from 1929 to 1971 on the hospital. There are more at Wellington, but Mangere might be easier to get to.

Papers Past (Auckland Star records) says that Glamis Hospital Ltd was created as a company in 1937 to run the hospital operated by Dr J A Paterson. It started to be known as Glamis Obstetric Hospital from that point. The Wises Directory 1930 I have here shows James A Paterson, medical practitioner, living where Glamis is today.

Jesmond Dene (1931 - at least 1958), 737 New North Road, Mt Albert. Practitioner(s): Nurse Forbes (1931-?)

Was next to the Mt Albert telephone exchange; the exchange is still there, but Jesmond Dene and the Braemar buildings shopping block, were demolished to make way for St Lukes Road extension, 1970s. There were at least two nurses there. Site of nursing home was property of Thomas Kirkup. Property sold by estate December 1941.

THE WELL-SITUATED PROPERTY known as "Jesmond Dene", 737 New North Rd., just beyond 3rd tram section and shopping centre. Large Villa Residence of 9 rooms, kitchen, bathroom, pantry, etc.. all on one floor, severs, spacious rooms. Now being used as a nursing home. Freehold section. 2ro 16.7p. with about 98 ft frontage. Well-grown trees and shrubs, lawns, asphalt drive. (Auckland Star 2 December 1941)

Nurse Whitefield, Grand Avenue, c.1930.

Mt Eden

Mrs Mac, Mt Eden Road, (August 1902-1903). Shifted from Upper Queen Street, "certified Ladies Nurse". In 1904 shifted again to Essex Road, Mt Eden.

Nurse Sarah Anne "Annie" Thompson, "Erinholme", 32? Brentwood Ave (1911-1912). Died 25 November 1912, aged 43. Youngest daughter of William Thompson of Cavanboy, County Tyrone, Ireland. The house was put up for sale as a going concern. Misses Morris and Gladys Metherell, (1913-1915). Then Mrs Henrietta Rich (1915-1919), went bankrupt (NZ Herald, 22 February 1919). A Nurse Paul also practised there.

Nurse Blanche Donald's Nursing Home, "Harrisville" (next to post office) Dominion Road (1911-1915). House there demolished. Moved to 4 Herbert Road -- new house (1916-c.1946). Became Atholea Rest Home by c.1949.

"NURSE B DONALD, of Harrisville. Dominion Rd., Private Maternity Nursing Home, has removed to a new and up-to-date nursing home, Herbert Rd., second house on left from Dominion Rd. Phone 2902."

Father was William Keay, mother Mary Keay (died 29 July 1921 at her daughter's nursing home, aged 91). She stated in 1927 that she had been a nurse for 27 years, so began practice c.1900. June 4 1913, she married William Shepherd of Matakana, at the Beresford Street Congregational Church.






An allegation that Nurse Blanche Donald, of Herbert Road, Auckland, had been negligent in her treatment of a patient, whose new-born baby died the day after the confinement, was the subject of close investigation in the Magistrate's Court yesterday, when Thomas Clarke, mill-hand, of Mamaku, proceeded against the nurse for damages. The suit for damages was entered as a counter claim to a claim by Nurse Donald for £9 11/- in respect of nursing fees. Clarke claimed £38 12/8 special damages, and £25 general damages. Dr. T. Pettit described Mrs. Clarke as a nervous wreck.

When Mr. Holmden closed his case for Clarke, reserving the right to call Dr Hilda Northcroft, Mr. Dickson, opening on behalf of Nurse Donald, stated that his client had been compelled to come to court. Had she given in to Mrs. Clarke it would have appeared that she tacitly admitted neglect. Mr. Dickson criticised Dr. T. Pettit's action in reporting the case to the Health Department. Dr. Lindsay had seen the child, and he would state in evidence that Dr. Pettit's innuendo, that the child might have died from any other defect than malignant jaundice, was nothing but a fable. If the court decided to convict for negligence, it would mean, said Mr. Dickson, that the nurse would lose her license and her livelihood.

"I know of nothing more I could have done for Mrs. Clarke and her baby," said Nurse Donald, in evidence. Witness said she had been 27 years nursing, and had never been concerned in court proceedings before. She denied having sent any of Dr T Pettit's patients to other doctors. Mrs. Clarke had always been satisfied with witness' home before this occurrence. Her former child was born dead. "I was in bed on the morning when Mrs. Clarke arrived, and Probationer-Nurse Strikes came to tell me that the patient was at the home. I got up, dressed, had a cup of tea, and went in to see her. Then I rang Dr. Pettit. Immediately afterwards I went in to see her again, and asked if she would like a cup of tea. Mrs. Clarke was then on the mat. She was on her knees. When she said she would not have a cup of tea I went to the bathroom to get a hot-water bag to put in her bed. I heard someone call, just as the bag was half full, and I ran to Mrs. Clarke immediately," continued Nurse Donald. Only a few minutes elapsed between seeing her and hearing her call. The child had been born. There it was on the mat. I have never had children born under similar circumstances. The first labour in some cases might last 24 hours or more. Mrs. Clarke gave me to understand she had felt the first pain at 4 o'clock that morning. I don't remember when she told me that. I don't always examine patients at once. I just leave them a while, and see how they get on. Meanwhile I attend to sterilisation and the things that have to be done."

Witness declared that she had told Dr Pettit that the child had been born on the mat. Mr W R McKean, SM, reminded witness that the doctor had stated that he did not know the circumstances of the birth till after the child was dead. Witness: "When I rang first I was told that Dr. Pettit was out. When I rang the second time I spoke to the doctor. I said: "The baby has been born so quickly, it's been born on the mat."

The Magistrate: Was there anyone present when you told him that?— Yes; Nurse Stokes. She was in the hall.

The Magistrate: You never touched that point in your cross-examination of Dr. Pettit, Mr. Dickson.

Mr. Dickson: I'm sorry, sir; I overlooked it.

The Magistrate: That is not a satisfactory explanation, I'm afraid.

Nurse Donald said she told Dr. Pettit on two occasions that the child was born on the mat. First, she told him on the 'phone, and later when he was on the doorstep. She told the doctor what she had done for the baby. All night she had been up and down looking after the child. In the morning she rang Dr. Pettit and told him the child was ill. He came and looked at it, and the child was so yellow that he said "It's done for!" The child had been unable to take the mother's milk.

Mr. Holmden: That's an important point.

Nurse Donald said the Health Department made a lot of inquiries after Dr Pettit had reported the matter. She gave them answers to all their questions and heard no more of the matter

Mr. Dickson: And I suppose Dr. Pettit gave them all the details he could find?— You may be sure of that.

Mr. Holmden: That is a very wrong assertion.

The Magistrate: There is no reason Mr. Dickson, why you should tell me what you suppose.

Mr. Holmden opened his cross-examination of Nurse Donald by asking if Probationer-Nurse Stokes had informed her that she (Nurse Stokes) had assisted Mrs. Clarke up the stairs to the front door. Nurse Donald: No. When you went to see Mrs. Clarke, did you ask her how her pains were? I don't think I did.

The Magistrate: Can't you be sure?

Mr. Holmden: Then why did you say just now that you thought you did?—It is so long ago since it happened that--I don't remember. What was she doing when first you saw her?— She was on her knees on the mat on which the baby was found. What was she doing there?—Oh, just kneeling. You know that at the time of birth mothers do appreciate having someone with them ?—Yes. You know the provision in the regulations that during the period stipulated the nurse must be in attendance all the time?— Yes. You did not ask her what her condition was when you invited her to have a cup of tea?— No.

I put it to you that it is your duty to find out the condition of a patient as soon as she arrives at your home, and you didn't do it on this occasion?— No.

Mr. Holmden: During the twenty minutes she was in the home you did not take the trouble to find out her condition.—I see.

The magistrate asked witness to state the time when Mrs. Clarke mentioned having felt her first pains at 4 a.m. Witness said it would be about an hour after the birth when Mrs. Clarke told her, as far as she could remember.

"It would do the child no harm to be born in such circumstances," said Dr. P. A. Lindsay, a practitioner with 38 years' experience of maternity cases. Mr. Dickson, in calling him, described Dr. Lindsay as one of the leading New Zealand specialists. Witness said he had known Nurse Donald for about 30 years. She was, in his opinion, thoroughly competent.

Mr. Dickson: You say it would do the baby no harm to be born in this way?

Dr. Lindsay (with a laugh): "No. Why, one case I had, the baby was born with the patient lying in the grass out in the rain!" Continuing, Dr. Lindsay said the circumstances of the birth would not affect the health of mother or child. The mother had a perfectly natural labour. There was not a nurse in Auckland who might not find herself in Nurse Donald's position.

The Magistrate: It may have been a natural birth, doctor, but the circumstances were not normal, surely?

Dr. Lindsay (laughing reassuringly): I've had any number of cases where the babies were not born on the bed. And the women had their own mothers with them, too.

The Magistrate: Don't you consider that there was any responsibility on the nurse to ascertain the mother's condition?

Dr. Lindsay: Not the slightest.

The Magistrate: Not the slightest, eh?

Mr. Dickson: Do you consider there was any negligence? None whatever.

The Magistrate: You heard Dr. Pettit's evidence. Do you disagree with him?

Dr. Lindsay: Well, yes. The woman took no harm and was perfectly well in the home.

Mr Dickson: Dr. Lindsay prefers to put his 38 years against Dr. Pettit's eight years. You think it more important that she should go to prepare a place for the patient, rather than waste time talking to her.

Mr. Holmden: You mean "instead of complying with the regulations of the Health Department."

The next witness, Dr. James Moir, said he had been attending maternity cases since 1875. He had known Nurse Donald 30 years. She was an excellent nurse. He did not think there had been any neglect in this case. The rules and regulations prevented nurses from making an examination when the patient was in the third stage of labour.

The Magistrate: What do you say the first duty of a nurse is when a patient arrives at the home?

Dr. Moir: I should say she should go along and try to form an opinion as to what is doing. She should then get things ready. If she thought she had time, she should get the room ready as Nurse Donald was doing.

The Magistrate: What do you mean, doctor, by "form an opinion?"

Dr. Moir: She would form her judgement on the character of the pains. There can be no certainty when a child will be born. I for one could not tell.

The Magistrate: Don't you think the nurse should ask the patient how she felt? Dr Moir: I suppose she would.

The Magistrate: It is alleged in this case that the nurse didn't bother to inquire. Dr Moir said cold would not cause a baby to develop [illegible] jaundice.

Mary Stokes, a trainee at the Hamilton Hospital, stated that she had been at Nurse Donald's when Mrs Clarke was admitted. She arrived about 7.30 a.m. Witness thought she heard Nurse Donald tell Dr Petiit that the child was born on the floor.

Mrs. Young who accompanied the patient, did not say on arrival; "She is pretty bad." When witness was going in and out of the room while Mrs. Clarke was on her knees in the bedroom, she was carrying things that had to be sterilised.

The case will resume on Thursday, at 9.30 a.m., when Mr. Holmden will call Dr. Hilda Northcroft, who was unable to give evidence yesterday owing to professional engagements. (Auckland Star, 25 May 1927)

The case was decided in Nurse Donald's favour. See also Auckland Star 31 May, 1 June and 22 June 1927.

4 Herbert Road, Mt Eden, April 2014 (Google Maps)

Nurse Turnbull, "Killarney" (1914) - noted only in Kawhia Settler and Raglan Advertiser 25 September 1914.

Nurse Catherine E O'Donnell, Grange Road (c.1914-c.1938)




What can be accomplished by a mother's love is illustrated by an Auckland lady, who travelled round the world alone to visit the graves of her sons, one on the western front, and another at Gallipoli. She also visited the grave of a son-in-law. The mother referred to is Mrs. W. O'Donnell, of Grange Road, Mt. Eden, who was for 12 years a well-known nurse in the Northern Wairoa. Mrs. O'Donnell left New Zealand last February to visit the graves of her boys.

A letter has been received by her son, Mr A O'Donnell, solicitor, of this city, from his mother, who was then staying at the Grand Hotel de Londes, Constantinople. Mrs. O'Donnell has fulfilled her quest, having seen the grave of one son on the western front and the other at Chunuk, Gallipoli, also that of her son-in-law, Captain William McCarthy. She also visited the graves of other New Zealand boys with whose mothers she was acquainted.

One son, Corporal John O'Donnell who died at Gallipoli, left with the main body. His brother Gunner William O'Donnell, was with the 4th Reinforcement, and while at Gallipoli placed a cross upon the grave. Later he also was killed at Messines. Mrs. O'Donnell went via Panama to England, then across to the battlefields on the Western front, afterwards to Trieste, Italy, Port Said, Gallipoli and Constantinople. Mrs. O'Donnell writes that she spent five days at Gallipoli. She was most hospitably treated while there, and was told she was the first New Zealand mother to visit Chunuk. She adds that those in charge of the cemetery have done wonderful work. Mrs. O'Donnell is now in Australia on her way back to Auckland. (Auckland Star 26 September 1924)

Nurse Martha Webster, Cranleigh, 22 Brentwood Avenue (c.1915 - 1938). Surrendered her licence due to ill health.

Nurse Smith, 7 Chester Street (c.1922-1923), 3 Chester Street (1924)

Nurse Gordon, Hylton Private Hospital, Batger Road, Mt Eden (1922-1924)

Nurse Florence Stewart, Mt View Hospital, 32 View Road, Mt Eden (c.1925-1943)

Nurse Sullivan, Edenvale Road, Mt Eden (c.1925, 1930)

Edenholme (1927- at least 1950), Bellevue Obstetric Hospital (c.1950 - at least 1957), 576/8 Mt Eden Road. Practitioner(s): Victoria Euphemia (Effie) Warbrick nee Campbell, aka Nurse Warbrick (1927-c.1941); Ms. E W Kennerley (c.1941 - at least 1945 - Wises 1946), A M Baird (c.1950- at least 1957)

"Nurse Warbrick married Piers Edgcumbe in about 1943, and became the Countess of Mount Edgcumbe some time in the early 1960s. She was a widow with one son, and started a nursing home in Herne Bay (56 Ardmore Rd?) in the 1920s. By 1927 she was matron/owner of "Edenholme".

"She married Piers during the War, and they eventually lived at the end of Crescent Rd, Parnell with a bach in the Waitakeres at Waiatarua, before selling up and departing for England in 1963. Piers had no money and did not work, but eventually received an income as the heir apparent to Mt Edgcumbe. Effie belonged to everything - bridge clubs, Lyceum Club etc and was president of the Travel Club before leaving for England. Her sister "Noonie", Mrs Salisbury Sykes, lived with her and used to regularly entertain by singing at gatherings." (Margaret Edgcumbe) The Countess died 29 November 1979.

Victoria Effie Warbrick, who was described on the summons as a nurse, was charged, on three informations, with willfully furnishing false returns of income derived by her for the years ended March 31, 1938, 1939 and 1940. There were three alternate charges of negligently furnishing false returns of income. Mr. Cyril Snedden appeared for the defendant. Did Not Take Hint Mr. G. S. R. Meredith, who prosecuted for the Commissioner of Taxes, said defendant was a widow and until recently she had been conducting a large maternity hospital. In June of 1937 an investigation was made by an income tax inspector, who warned defendant that she should get an accountant to keep her books. "But apparently she did not take the hint, said Mr. Meredith. "In May last her affairs were again investigated, when large discrepancies for the years 1938, 1939 and 1940 were found. For the year 1938 the Department ascertained that her income had been £1411, whereas she had declared it was £461, a discrepancy of £950. For the year 1939 the Department ascertained her income was £1496, whereas she made a return showing it was £504, a discrepancy of £992, and for 1940 the Department's figures were £1272 and the defendant's £354, a discrepancy of £918. The income tax which she evaded by such false returns amounted to £371 13/9."

"She stated that owing to pressure of work, staff troubles and ill-health she had not given sufficient attention to preparing the books. It can easily be seen that her income was substantial. She is still owing £190 for income tax. I can only point out that these offences were deliberate and very serious."

Mr. Snedden said it was difficult to say just where negligence began and ended. The defendant had great responsibilities while conducting the hospital, and also had to contend with staff troubles. As a result of this she had been working day and night to keep things going. "She actually did not know her true position, and unfortunately she neglected the accounts side as well as her books," said counsel. "I would ask your Worship to treat the matter as one of negligence and not as willful." Mr. Hunt: She had no excuse whatever. She could have employed an accountant. On each of the three charges of willfully making false returns of income she will be fined £50. Mr Meredith's application for leave to withdraw the three charges of negligently making a false return of income was granted. (Auckland Star 29 August 1941)

Rawhiti Private Hospital (1924-at least 1937) 467 Mt Eden Road, 15-bed premises. Licence and name transferred from 2 Park Road, Grafton by Mrs Priscilla Lovegrove (trading as "Sister Wheeler"). Known as Rawhiti surgical hospital in 1940, and the same in 1958. Today, the site is a retirement home.

Mount View Maternity Home, 32 View Road, proprietors Florence and Marjorie Stewart (1925-late 1943). Over 3000 babies born there. Site eventually absorbed by Salvation Army's Lady Alice Eventide Home. (The History of Mount Eden, 2019)

Fencourt Private Nursing Home (1925). Balmoral Road. Practitioner: Nurse Eliza Jane Fulleston-Whyte. (see Willesden, Epsom)

Nurse Carlysle, 4 Plunket Road, Mt Eden. (1927)

Nurse Baldock, 2 Herbert Road (c. 1939)

Mrs Mabel Elizabeth Ashby (1906-1957), "Lyndhurst", 6 Penrhyn Road. (c.1943- 1944), Pencarrow Ave (1944-1944), Penrhyn Road again (1944- at least 1954), 1 Jellicoe Ave, Mt Roskill (1957). Died 5 August 1957, buried at Waikumete.

Mt Roskill

Nurse Campbell, Duke St (near Dominion Road), Mt Roskill (c.1924-1926)

Nurse Sarah A Hill, Euroa Hospital (1929-1936). 661 (today around 605) Manukau Road, Royal Oak. Started at Ponsonby Road 1916. From Carlton Gore Road, Grafton. Surrendered licence May 1936.