- [8/2020] Serving as Co-Chair of the Special Session at 19th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applciations (ICMLA 2020) entitled "Advanced Machine Learning and Applications: Federated Learning and Meta-Learning (AML-IoT FLAME 2020)"![Link, LinkedIn, Twitter]
- [7/2020] Serving as Technical Program Committee of the International Workshop on Federated Learning for User Privacy and Data Confidentiality in Conjunction with ICML 2020 (FL-ICML'20)! [Link]
- [5/2020] Serving as Guest Editor of a Journal Special Issue on "Machine Learning and Optimization for Interdependent Networks" (Please email me for details)!
- [5/2020] Featured on FIU News on our developed dashboard to predict and visualize COVID-19 cases using data analytics solid lab [ FIU news, FIU CEC, FIU CEC LinkedIn, FIU SCIS, FIU SCIS LinkedIn]
- [5/2020] Received an National Science Foundation RAPID Grant on COVID-19 Research joint with FIU Civil Engineering!
- [5/2020] Interview with FIU News and Smart City Today (Korean) on my research at solid lab [ FIU news, CEC News, Smart City Today]
- [4/2020] Our paper joint with Carnegie Mellon University on distributed artificial intelligence for energy system resilience is accepted for presentation at IEEE PES General Meeting 2020!
- [4/2020] Our journal paper joint with University of Florida entitled "Interdependent Networks: A Data Science Perspective" is accepted for publication in Patterns! [Link, Science Direct Link]
- [3/2020] I am serving as Co-Chair of the CPD 2020: The Third Workshop on Combining Physic and Data-Driven Knowledge in Ubiquitous Computing, Adjunct Proceedings of the 2020 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and the 2020 International Symposium on Wearable Computers (UbiComp/ISWC'20)! (Workshop Page Twitter LinkedIn)
- [3/2020] I gave an invited Webinar (Seminar Series) at EECS Department, University of California Merced on Distributed Machine Learning and Optimization Algorithms for for Intelligent Interdependent Networks! UCM Flyer
- [2/2020] My Edited Book on "Optimization, Learning, and Control for Interdependent Complex Networks" published by Springer Nature is available Online! Media Coverage: solid lab SCIS Twitter
- [1/2020] I received 2019 IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid Best Reviewer Award!
- [1/2020] I received 2019 IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy Exceptional Reviewer Award!
- [12/2019] Success story of my PhD student has been featured by Florida International University Graduate School (Link) and School of Computing and Information Sciences (Link1, Link2)!
- [12/2019] Our paper entitled "Distributed Sensing Using Smart End-user Devices: Pathway to Federated Learning for Autonomous IoT " has received the Best Paper Award at the 2019 IEEE Conference on Computational Science & Computational Intelligence! Media Coverage: SCIS News, SCIS LinkedIn, and SCIS Twitter!
- [12/2019] I am chairing two sessions at the Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI 2019): 1) Artificial Intelligence (CSCI-ISAI); 2) Big Data and Data Science (CSCI-ISBD) + Social Network Analysis, Social Media, & Mining (CSCI-ISNA)!
- [12/2019] Our collaborative journal paper joint with Carnegie Mellon University, entitled "Distributed Holistic Framework for Smart City Infrastructures: Tale of Interdependent Electrified Transportation Network and Power Grid", is accepted for publication at "Distributed Computing Infrastructure for Cyber-Physical Systems" Session of IEEE Access!
- [11/2019] My article on a novel physics-based model of electrified vehicles in interdependent transportation and energy networks is published at Optimization in Large Scale Problems!
- [11/2019] Our collaborative research with Carnegie Mellon University on a novel distributed intelligence algorithm for critical infrastructures is accepted and published in the Proceedings of the 9th ACM Symposium on Design and Analysis of Intelligent Vehicular Networks and Applications! I presented the paper at the 22nd ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems! Media Coverage: SCIS Twitter, LinkedIn, and Carnegie Mellon University Energy Science and Innovation Club!
- [10/2019] Our collaborative paper with Department of Computer Science, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, University of Georgia entitled "On Parameter Tuning in Meta-learning for Computer Vision " is accepted for presentation and publication in proceedings of the 2019 International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence! (Acceptance Rate: 17%)
- [10/2019] Our paper entitled "Distributed Sensing Using Smart End-user Devices: Pathway to Federated Learning for Autonomous IoT" is accepted for presentation and publication in proceedings of the 2019 International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence! (Acceptance Rate: 17%)
- [10/2019] I am serving as Guest Editor of Special Issue on "Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence for Power and Energy Networks" at Energies Journal! (Impact Factor: 2.707)
- [10/2019] Our collaborative paper on optimal sensor placement for cyberphysical energy network observability, joint with Carnegie Mellon University and Lehigh University has been accepted for publication in flagship journal of smart energy systems, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid! (Impact Factor: 10.486)
- [10/2019] Our collaborative paper on optimal attack strategy in cyberphysical energy systems, joint with Departments of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, and Architectural Engineering at Penn State University has been accepted for publication and presentation at International Workshop on Big Data Analytics of Cyber-Physical Systems as a part of the Tenth IEEE International Green and Sustainable Computing Conference (IGSC 2019)! (Acceptance rate: 40%)
- [10/2019] Prof. Amini is serving as Technical Program Committee of 12th International Conference on COMmunication Systems & NETworkS (COMSNETS) 2020 Graduate Forum!
- [09/2019] I am serving as Program Committee of the International Workshop on Big Data Analytics of Cyber-Physical Systems (CPSBigData2019) ! Colocated with the IEEE International Green and Sustainable Computing Conference, 2019 October 21-24, 2019, Alexandria, VA!
- [09/2019] I am serving as Technical Program Committee of the 29th Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC2019) ! This year's AUPEC is focused on IoT in Energy System Sustainability!
- [09/2019] I am serving as Travel Grant Committee of 1st ACM Workshop on Device-Free Human Sensing, ACM Buildsys 2019 Workshop!
- [08/2019] I am serving as Technical Program Committee of 1st ACM Workshop on Device-Free Human Sensing, ACM Buildsys 2019 Workshop!
- [08/2019] I served as Banner Marshal for College of Engineering and Computing during FIU Freshman Convocation Ceremony! Welcome to Class of 2023!
- [08/2019] I am serving as Technical Program Committee of 3rd International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies (SEST'2020)!
- [08/2019] I joined the School of Computing and Information Sciences, College of Engineering and Computing, Florida International University as an Assistant Professor!
- [08/2019] I graduated from Carnegie Mellon University with a Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering! My interdisciplinary research bridges the gap between optimization theory and its engineering applications. Thanks to my PhD Adviser and Committee members from Electrical & Computer Engineering, Computer Science, and Engineering & Public Policy!
- [08/2019] I was awarded NSF Travel support to attend National Science Foundation “Networking Technology and Systems Early-Career Investigators” (NeTS-ECI) Workshop, Alexandria, VA, August 5-6, 2019!
- [06/2019] I was awarded NSF Travel support to attend National Science Foundation-sponsored Workshop on “Smart Grid Edge Analytics” at the Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA, June 4-5, 2019!
Call for Graduate and Undergraduate Students, and Visiting Scholar Applications
Multiple PhD positions are available in the areas of optimization/learning theory, data analytics, cyberphysical security, interdependent networks, energy systems, and distributed algorithms. To apply, please email me your resume[including education, list of references, software experience, publication list, English test scores if applicable] and maximum two recently-published representative papers.
I am always looking forward to working with motivated undergraduate and masters students who are interested in my research.
Partial funding for Visiting Scholars/Students is available.