Benjamin Reaves - Curriculum Vitae
Career Experience (both clients and employers are in this list)
Formal education and post-graduate indulgences
- 2012: Conversational Mandarin Chinese
- 2011: SNAP Emergency Preparedness workshops
- 2007: Spanish language
- 2004: Software for digital music mixing - ProTools
- 2001: "Writing Nuance 'Say Anything' Grammars": using Statistical Language Models in commercial speech recognition systems.
- 2000: Java Threads.
- 1994: Japanese Language Proficiency 日本語能力試験 2級
- 1985: Japanese Language
- 1984: Ham Radio license (Technician Level. N6HAL)
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering. Concentration: Statistical Signal Processing. 1983. Stanford University
- Courses include Linear Estimation Theory (Kailath), Communications Engineering Principles (Lusignan), Introduction to Statistical Signal Processing (Gray), Signal Detection and Nonlinear Estimation (Kailath, El Gamal), Digital Filtering (Treichler), Introduction to Fourier Optics (Goodman), Fourier Transform and its Applications (Bracewell), Adaptive Systems (Widrow).
- Masters Project: analysis of frequency domain LMS adaptive filter in white noise (under Dr. Bernard Widrow)
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. Magna cum Laude. 1981. University of Southern California.
- Bachelor of Science. Graduated in the top 20% of all Engineering students. Concentration in Signal Processing.
- Courses include: Numerical Analysis (Bekey), Probability & Statistics (Papadapoulos), Engineering Honors Colloquium (Rusch). Additional Major: East Asian Languages and Cultures -Japanese (Dr. Han)
- Additional Concentration: Electronic Music
- Courses include Signals and Systems, Analog Circuits, Numerical Analysis
- Rolling Hills High School, Rolling Hills Estates, California. Advanced Placement Calculus and Architecture.
- Malaga Cove Intermediate School, Palos Verdes Estates, California. Advanced track in Mathematics and Science.
- Pedregal Elementary School, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
- Institut Athenaeum - Basel, Switzerland
- Baldwin Hills Elementary School, Los Angeles, California - downwind from the See's candy factory!
A U.S. Citizen, I was raised in Los Angeles, attended school in Switzerland at age 9, and brought up my family in Yamatotakada, Japan for about 11 years. I would like to think that these experiences give me the ability to communicate among a diverse group of people, and to view issues from various angles. When not working or spending time with family, I enjoy bicycling, light hiking, reading, and driving. Interests include transportation, languages, urban planning, and maps.