531 Gray Ghost Squadron
by William S Warren
A group of MARINES, and associates, who served in the United States Marine Corps Fighter Squadron 531(Grey Ghosts).
On 25 July 1942, the first Marine night-fighter squadron of 12 planes was authorized for 1 January 1943. Major Schwable was designated commanding officer of the squadron, which was numbered VMF(N)-531. Cherry Point was selected as the location for forming the squadron, a process that began on 1 October 1943.
The first aircraft accepted were the twin-engined Vega Ventura (PV-1, Navy designation). The squadron was commissioned at U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, NC, on 16 November 1942. Lt. Col. Schwable had Major John D. Harshberger as his executive officer along with three other officers and forty-six enlisted men.
Squadron Association Officers:
Commander: Roman Makuch
Vice Commander: Rich Richardson
Secretary: Ray Holmes
Treasurer: Rich Richardson
Membership: Dick Lowe
Ghost Lore Editor: John Poore
Scholarship Chairman: Roy A. Pearson
(An annual scholarship for children and grandchildren of Gray Ghost Squadron members is available.)
Send for an application: Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
"Time passes, we get older and memories begin to fade, but fortunately, the 'Ghosts' stay with us every day."
Webmaster: Roy F. Gehris
© Copyright Aug. 8, 1997
* * COPYRIGHT NOTICE * *
This website and all of its contents are the sole property of the 531 Gray Ghost Squadron.
* * All Rights Reserved * *