Reading Journal Expectations
Good Readers write about what they have read in order to GROW their ideas. This journal is yours, a place for you to explore your ideas and write about the books you read throughout the year. Below are my expectations for your journal.
· Write in your journal Monday through Thursday night after you have read for 20 minutes.
· It will be turned in to Mr. Saucier every Friday for feedback.
· Date every journal entry.
· Write the title of the book you’re talking about for every entry.
· Write on BOTH sides of every page and use every page without skipping any pages! This will help you keep yourself organized and help the planet!
· Write in complete sentences, start with a capital letter and end with punctuation.
· When you go to write decide what kind of writing you want to do. Some ideas about what you could write about are below:
o Summarize what you read
o Make a prediction
o Make a connection
o Describe a character
o Ask a question and explore possible answers
**If you find yourself stuck, try one of the sentence starters below! These are just like the accountable talk strips we learned about that help us discuss what we’ve read.
I wonder if…
How the character acts tells me…
The story makes me think of because…
I can connect to because…
I predict that…
I can understand how feels because…
This journal will be used every week! I will give you feedback on what you write and you will learn how to grow your ideas about what you’ve read. I hope that your journal helps you see the beauty in finishing a good book!
Best, Mr. Saucier