The purpose of this site is to support teachers in their role as advisors. This overview page includes the mission, goals and structure of Advisory @ ORMS.
The mission of the ORMS advisory program is to foster the students’ sense of belonging within the school community. In small close knit groups, students will regularly work with an advisor dedicated to supporting them as they navigate the academic, emotional and social components of school.
- Advisories will foster a caring environment by providing activities to encourage a sense of belonging, acknowledgment, and acceptance.
- Advisories will provide a unique opportunity to develop relationships.
- Advisories will help members to grow and develop emotionally, morally and socially.
- Advisories will develop acceptance of individual differences and will work together to address and solve problems/common concerns.
School Community Membership
- Advisories will create opportunities for members to feel like a valued part of the school community.
- Advisories will empower members to make a difference and contribute to a sense of community.
- Advisories will create pathways to cross-school communication and connectedness.
- Advisories will help members to develop a growth mindset and strategize when facing problems.
- Advisories will support setting and reflecting on goals.
- Advisories will reinforce executive functioning skills for success.
Advisory meets every day from 2:50-3:05. An Advisory will be made up of a small group of students from the same grade level (advisees) and a teacher (advisor). The advisees and their advisor will remain a unit for the duration of the school year.
In an effort to assist Advisees in meeting the goals of the Advisory program, resources have been collected and organized into 10 monthly themes:
- September - What is Advisory? & Building Connections
- October - Establishing Habits for School Success
- November - Personal Reflection & Goal Setting
- December - Gratitude/ Optimism
- January - Celebrating Diversity
- February - Self-Discovery
- March - Collaboration
- April - Self-Care
- May - Citizenship Through Service
- June - Adjusting to Change & Transition