The Newfoundland and Labrador English School District is funded for student transportation through policies set out by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD). Student transportation is provided, free of charge, for those students living 1.6 kilometres or more from their zoned neighbourhood school.
Route information for each school can be found on the NLESD website under the School Profile page on the School Directory. If you do not see your child's route information, please contact your school.
When you register your child for school, she or he will be registered for student transportation. However, if your child is late registering, or you move throughout the school year, it could take several weeks to arrange transportation. Please be prepared to provide transportation for your child until busing can be arranged.
Kindergarten students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian when waiting for the bus. Likewise, a Kindergarten student will not be permitted to exit the bus at the end of the school day unless a parent or guardian is there to meet them. If a parent or guardian is not at the bus to meet a Kindergarten student, the driver will continue on with their run. Once the run is complete, the student will be returned to the school and the family will be contacted. Should this occur, parents are expected to make their own arrangements for pick-up.
For further information on busing in the please refer to the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District website, by clicking here.
***Busing Eligibility Map
Click for Map . Please note areas coloured in purple are not eligible for regular bus transportation. You may apply for courtesy seating with the appropriate application (see section below). Seats are limited.
A courtesy seat is a seat on a bus route for a student who has not been assigned to this route based on his/her civic address. i.e. not eligible for student transportation on that route.
Approval of courtesy seats requests is the School Administrator's responsibility.
More information on Courtesy Seat policy, can be found via the NLESD website, or by clicking here.
Riding the Bus
- Our busses have seating plans. It is important for students to sit in their designated seat.
- There will be a minimum of two children per seat and sometimes three.
- It is essential for students to practice safe behaviors when travelling on a school bus.
- Bus evacuation practice will happen early in the school year.
- Student expectations while riding the bis - CLICK HERE
- Children must be at their bus stop waiting for the bus to arrive. Kindergarten children must be accompanied to the bus stop by an adult for pickup and drop off. Kindergarten children do not get dropped off at their driveway unless it is a designated stop.
- The bus will load and proceed to the next stop and will not wait for children who are late. They are on a schedule to arrive at school.
- Children will board and off-load in a safe manner in single file.
Bus Evacuation Procedures are practiced each September with all students who attend Lewisporte Academy.
Contact Information for our SchoolConnects system:
- Please ensure we have accurate telephone numbers for your child.
Anytime you have a change in your numbers please notify the school.