The SECU Foundation People Helping People Scholarship is only available to graduating public high school seniors who are either current members of State Employees’ Credit Union (“SECU”) or the child of a parent/guardian who is a member of SECU at the time of application. Preference will be given to students whose parents or guardians and family members are public sector employees (state, local or federal government; public health; public education) who live and work in North Carolina. Additionally, preference will be given to those majoring in public service degree programs (such as Public Health, Education, Public Administration, and Public Policy). While not a requirement, identification of a financial need, as determined by submission of a Free Application for Federal student Aid (FAFSA), will be taken into consideration by the selection committee. Scholarship recipients in good academic standing will be able to receive the scholarship up to a maximum of eight (8) consecutive semesters at the same university. Students selected should not be the recipient of other large scholarships.
1. Is either an SECU member or is eligible for membership through a parent/guardian. Student or their parent/guardian must be a member at the time of application.
2. Is a senior at a North Carolina public high school who has been accepted to one of the 16 constituent campuses of the University of North Carolina System (copy of acceptance letter must be provided)
3. Is a US citizen and a resident of North Carolina under NCGS 116-143.1 and is eligible for in-state tuition.
4. Best exemplifies the “People Helping People” philosophy of SECU, and has demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement.
5. Demonstrates scholastic achievement with a maintained 2.5 or higher unweighted grade point average on a 4.0 scale and may be deserving of financial aid.
6. Will use the scholarship to pay for full-time undergraduate student tuition and fees.
7. Agrees to continue as a full-time student in good standing (maintained 2.5 or higher GPA) with the same university for up to eight (8) consecutive fall/spring semesters payable at $1,250 per semester. Scholarships are not transferable without prior approval of SECU Foundation.
8. Is not a director, employee, or family member of a director or employee of SECU or the SECU Foundation, or a family member of a member of the scholarship selection committee. However, please note that the student must be a member of SECU or be eligible for membership through a parent or guardian at the time of application to be eligible for the scholarship.
Please send, using your student email, the following items to Mrs. Leinwand (email@example.com) by THURSDAY FEBRUARY 17th at 3PM, in order to be considered for the scholarship:
1) Completed application (attached)
2) Essay (see 2nd page of application for prompt, needs to be a Word doc)
3) Copy of the recipient's university acceptance letter
4) Professional photo of the recipient (in JPEG format)
5) Signed Consent Form (attached)