What are some necessary supplies and materials?
ALL STUDENTS NEED TO COME PREPARED WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- A Pencil
- Instrument accessories (e.g. violin shoulder rest, rosin, or cello rock-stop)
- Organized music (music and a free folder will be provided by the school)
- Instrument Book (see below)
- Chromebook (provided by the school)
- An instrument (some school instruments are available with priority given first to students who have seniority in performing, i.e. students who have had the most experience).
OTHER NECESSARY SUPPLIES ACCORDING TO INSTRUMENT:
- ORCHESTRA students need:
Shoulder Rest (for Violin and Viola)
For example, Southwest Strings KUN shoulder rest
XEROX End Pin Stopper (for cellos and bass)
For Cello Shar music Cello Endpin Anchor
For Bass Shar Music Bass Endpin Anchor
Rosin (for Violin, Viola and Cello)
For example: Southwest Strings Rosin
Bass Rosin, For example: Pops Rosin
- GUITAR students need:
Lightweight pick (for guitar students).
For example: Thin Guitar Pick
Black Footrest with varying height levels.
For example: amazon GLEAM black foot rest
- FOLDING MUSIC STAND. EVERY MUSICIAN SHOULD INVEST IN A FOLDING MUSIC STAND to use to practice at home in order to support posture and to prevent tension and/or physical injuries when practicing.
For example: Musician's Friend Folding Music Stand
How will advanced students stay organized?
CHAMBER STRINGS, ORCHESTRA 3 and GUITAR ENSEMBLE will have more music than other ensemble groups. To stay organized:
- Students will need a three ringed 1 and 1/2 inch binder to organize music. If you need help getting one, please ask me.
What books will the class use?
Please see the following list and get the book according to the instrument.
BEGINNING ORCHESTRA (Orchestra 1) , and
INTERMEDIATE ORCHESTRA (Orchestra 2) will use:
- New Directions for Strings Book 1
- Bass Players will need A Position
ADVANCED ORCHESTRA (Orchestra 3) will use:
- New Directions for Strings Book 2
- Bass Players can also use New Directions Book 1 D Position
CHAMBER STRINGS will use:
- Essential Technique for Strings
BEGINNING GUITAR will use:
- Essential Elements for Guitar Book 1
GUITAR ENSEMBLE will use:
- Essential Elements for Guitar Book 2
WHEN REPLACING STRINGS:
- Please make sure to get the correct size and type of strings for orchestral instruments
- Nylon strings ONLY for guitars since the school only has classical guitars.
RECOMMENDED LOCAL VENDORS FOR BOOKS, SUPPLIES, and STRINGS:
- For all Stringed instruments West Valley Music
- For Guitar equipment and repairs:
- For Orchestra equipment and repairs: