St. Jude Thaddeus Parish
St. Jude Thaddeus Parish
San Miguel
Saint Jude Thaddeus Parish was one of the three new parishes aside from the Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary in Binondo for Filipino-Chinese communities which were established on July 23, 1954. His Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos, D.D., Archbishop of Manila that time obtained the permission from the Sacred Consistorial Congregation in Rome to found these three parishes for Filipino-Chinese mission and evangelization namely: St. Peter the Apostle Parish, Mary the Queen Parish, and St. Jude Thaddeus Parish.
In the letter received from the Vatican it says: “By virtue of the faculty granted to us by the Sacred Roman Consistorial Congregation (795/54) July 23, 1954, by the present letters we hereby erect Espiritu Santo Chinese Parish in the parish of the same name, with the following limits (in the north, the boundary line extends to Bulacan province through Rizal Avenue Extension down to the Pasig River; in the south, the boundary line extends towards the east up to the boundary line of Rizal Province). All the Chinese inhabitants within these limits will constitute the members of the new parish.”
When St. Jude Thaddeus Parish was established, Fr. Henry Windges, SVD was the first parish priest. He was installed on November 14, 1954 by his Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos, D.D. On December 7, 1954, Fr. Peter Tsao was appointed as the parochial vicar and later became parish priest who was installed by Msgr. Jesus Tison on March 1, 1958. Fr. Bernard Dovle was also appointed as parochial vicar earlier on May 20, 1957 when Fr. Peter Tsao served as acting parish priest in the absence of Fr. Henry Windges. On May 7, 1959, Fr. Peter Yang, SVD was appointed as parochial vicar and later his Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin, D.D. appointed Fr. Thomas Cassidy as parochial vicar on October 25, 1986.
The laying of the cornerstone and blessing of the ground for the establishment of the parish was officiated by his Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos, D.D. on October 28, 1959. Towards its completion, the first mass that was celebrated was on December 24, 1959. It was only on October 23, 1960 that the parish church was blessed by His Excellency Juan B. Velasco, O.P. in the absence of His Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos, D.D. that time. It was the First Lady Leonila Garcia who cut the ribbon at its blessing.
On March 12, 2966 Fr. Peter Tsao, SVD was installed Vicar General for the Chinese Apostolate in the Archdiocese of Manila by His Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos, D.D. The weekly novena to St. Jude began in 1959 and assigned it on a Thursday. With the increase of devotion to St. Jude and the influx of devotees coming to the parish, an annex building was constructed and completed on February 27, 1968 and a parish hall was completed in November 13, 1983. It was only on June 20, 1986 that His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin, D.D. that the St. Jude Parish obtained its nature as territorial parish.
Saint Jude Catholic School
Saint Jude Catholic School began with the generosity and initiative of the Societas Verbi Divini (SVD) fathers. The school traces its humble beginnings in 1963 when the building that was used to be a SVD Riverview Hospital was transformed into a school with three classes in Kinder 1, three classes in Kinder II, and one class in Grade 1. Msgr. Peter Tsao, SVD became the first School Director and Fr. Peter Yang, SVD became the first principal. Fr. Charles Tschou was appointed as Dean of Discipline and Assistant Principal. The initial students in 1963 was 192 enrollees. On November 18, 1968 a multipurpose building started to be constructed that contained the offices, speech laboratories, canteen, dining halls, auditorium and gymnasium. It was completed on March 26, 1971. On June 26, 1989 the preschool pupils had held their classes in a 6-storey building that was located at Uli-Uli Street.