Queen of Peace Parish
Queen of Peace Parish
Bacolod City
The beginnings of Queen of Peace parish in Bacolod City for the Filipino-Chinese Apostolate had begun through the vision and initiative of Bishop Manuel Yap, D.D. who was the local ordinary of the Diocese of Bacolod that time. It was in 1954 that Fr. Joseph Wang and Fr. Peter Tsang immediately initiated the pioneering Filipino-Chinese mission. Both priests took their temporary residence at the bishop’s house while teaching at Tay Tung High School. The first Filipino-Chinese community was forgathered at the chapel beside the bishop’s residence where they had also initially celebrated the Sunday masses.
On May 5, 1955 Fr. John Liu and Fr. James Liu continued what was begun by Fr. Joseph Wang and Fr. Peter Tsang. Fr. James Liu took the place of Fr. Peter Tsang’ teaching load at Tay Tung High School while Fr. John Liu served as the assistant of Fr. Antonio Fortich who served as the parish priest at the Cathedral of the Diocese of Bacolod. As an assistant to Fr. Fortich, Fr. John Liu took charge of the Filipino-Chinese Apostolate in the Diocese. It was only on November 13, 1955 that the Bacolod Chinese Catholic Association was born with Mr. Benjamin Lopue Sr. as its first president.
On May 9, 1957 the Bacolod Chinese Catholic Center was inaugurated and blessed by Bishop Manuel Yap, D.D. with the presence of Bishop Juan B. Velasco D.D. who was the vicar general for the Filipino-Chinese Apostolate. St. Mary’s association was established in 1960. It is an association of Filipino-Chinese women for the evangelization, social welfare and other community-related programs.
St. John's Institute
St. John Institute was formerly called Hua Ming Catholic School which was established in 1959 with 372 kindergarten and primary school pupils. In the 1960s, three major buildings were constructed. In 1961-1962, the elementary school building was constructed. Later, the high school department building was established and it was followed by an auditorium which was called the Antonio Hall, a radio station and a speech laboratory which was also called the Lopue Speech Lab. In 1969, to mark the 10th year anniversary of its existence, students had their trip to Taiwan. In 1976, the sports center was constructed. In 1983, the Kindergarten building was constructed. It was blessed in 1985 which was also the occasion of the silver anniversary of the foundation of St. John’s Institute.