Come to Library for Passwords to the Sentinel, ADN and NEWSBANK
Google newspaper archives
To locate an article from a scanned newspaper, go to type in site:google.com/newspapers, followed by the search terms you’d like to use. For example, if you’re searching for a scanned article on the Berlin wall, you would type in:
Example: site:google.com/newspapers "the Berlin wall"
- BBC News: the BBC is one of the most respected news organizations on the Web. Great source for world news.
- The New York Times: the Grey Lady still has it: the New York Times continues to be one of the best sources for world news on the web.
- Reddit: Reddit is one of the top sources on the web to find crowd-sourced news items, and this includes breaking news stories that are updated by community members with insight and further resources in real time. If you're looking for truly up to the second news with an "everyman" sort of commentary, augmented by outside sources, Reddit is a good bet.
- Google World News: More than 4,500 news sources updated constantly at the time of this writing. You can also create a Google news alert to keep track of your favorite world news topics.
- WikiNews: Pick your geographical region and/or language, and you'll see a community-curated repository of news articles collated by people all over the world - exactly replicating the Wikipedia collation process.
- Alternet: On the Web in different iterations since 1997, Alternet provides an independent viewpoint of breaking news, mostly centered around U.S. events.
- Reuters: One of the main U.S. breaking news wires, focusing on both U.S. and international events. Many stories from Reuters are syndicated on other sites.
- PBS: Public broadcasting news for the last several decades; news here tends to be extremely well-balanced and non-partisan, and also includes good background information for further reading.
- C-SPAN: Watch legislative news as it happens; focusing on U.S. related events only.
Online Newspapers-United States
Online newspapers are how most people get the news these days from all over the world - every major newspaper in every country, in addition to most city newspapers, are freely available online for everyone to read. This makes monitoring news globally and locally even easier; and you can also see what other local newspapers are saying as well, no matter where you might be located. Here's a list of online newspapers to get you started reading the news from anywhere in the world online.
- NewsVoyager: A gateway to your local newspaper.
- United States Newspapers: You might be pleasantly surprised to see how extensive this site is; both popular and obscure newspapers are featured here.
- 50States.com: every state in America has at least one major newspaper featured here.
- USNPL: More newspapers from around the United States.
- The Internet Public Library: The IPL's collection of online newspapers.
- Newspapers-US and Worldwide: This is from the Reference Desk; frequently updated.
- SmallTownNewspapers: This site showcases only newspapers from small towns.