Below you find valuable information related to college admissions, NCAA eligibility, etc!
Check it out!
Minimum Course Requirements for Undergraduate Admission to UNC Institutions
Paying for College
FAFSA Application, www.fafsa.ed.gov
- First thing to remember: FAFSA IS FREE! Do not ever pay for it because we can help!
- FAFSA application must be completed as soon as you and your parents complete taxes for the previous year. Once this has occurred, you are ready to proceed. The earlier you apply, the better your chances of obtaining funding for college. State monies have been extremely tight, so you want every advantage. Get your taxes done as soon as possible each year that you are in college. This is a process that must be completed each year!
- This application opens doors for grants (FREE $), work study (FREE $), and loans. Loans can be in 3 categories: Subsidized (no interest/no payments until student graduates), Unsubsidized (interest begins once loan money is disbursed, no payment until student graduates), or Direct Loans (a parent loan, payments begin once money is disbursed).
- Please note: You may think your family will not qualify for any free $ due to your income, however, EVERYONE should complete a FAFSA because there are scholarships that require this information before they will give you money.
- www.cfnc.org - scholarships are NC only, which makes them less competitive. Scholarships include those with career interest in science/health careers, as well as teaching.
- www.fastweb.org – search site that posts scholarships directly related to college choice and career interests. Most are national or state scholarships, but still worthy of applications. Many schools utilize this site, as well as, business and private organizations.
- www.zinch.com – similar in nature to fastweb.org, scholarships are directly related to college choice and career interest.
- www.scholarships.com - search site that posts scholarships similar to other sites, but seems to be more variety.
- College Websites - All colleges list scholarships on their Financial Aid portion of their websites. Thorough investigation of scholarships can begin now at the college level for next year. Some scholarships are applied for via the Admission Application, others require a separate application for specific school scholarships.
McDowell High School, 600 McDowell High Dr. Marion, NC 28752 (P) 828-652-7920 (F) 828-652-1101