1:1 Chromebook Initiative
SLHS is committed to preparing students to be college and career ready; communication, creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking skills are essential to thrive in the 21st century. Starting with the 2018-2019 school year, all students in 9th grade and 10th grade will be required to purchase a Chromebook from the school to use for educational purposes. Having ongoing access to technology will allow our students to consistently practice and apply those 21st century skills, and prepare them for a variety of post-secondary options.
2019-2020 UPDATE - Thanks to the passage of 3A last fall, Jeffco Schools are moving to a district wide 1:1 program with all 5th and 9th graders. SLHS 9th graders will be required to pay a $50 tech fee which includes a chromebook and digital learning tools. No OPT-OUT option is available for incoming freshman.
Benefits of 1:1 education instruction
- Gives students real world technology experience and application needed for future careers and/or college.
- Encourages increased creativity, communication, collaboration and critical thinking skills through assignments that are not possible without technology.
- Allows teachers to differentiate lessons to meet students at various stages of learning.
- Enables teachers to collect instant data on student learning and immediately adjust instruction accordingly.
- Customizes learning through the use of a variety of technological tools.
Benefits of 1 1:1 device
- Students receive a high-quality device and protective case for less than they would have paid to purchase the same device on their own
- Estimated cost of the Chromebook option with a case is $304
- Estimated cost of the core set of digital instruction tools each student receives on their devices is approximately $17
- Families of students who receive a device will pay $50/year for the device, case, digital tools, and internet filtering
- Funds from the 5A mill levy override will be paired with these fees to fund the program
- Schools receive digital learning tools, teacher professional development to instruct with those tools, internet filtering, bandwidth, and additional support