Frequently asked questions:
What is a Chromebook and how is it different from a laptop?
- Watch video "Introducing the Chromebook"
I already have a device. Can I have my student bring that to school instead of buying one?
- Yes, if it meets the minimum requirements.
- There are some major disadvantages to this. See "Devices" page.
What happens when my student leaves GMHS?
- It is yours to keep after filling out the "bill of sale" form in the financial office
Can students print from a Chromebook?
Yes, at home when using a Google Cloud Printer.
No at school, but students can print in the computer labs and the library.
Can a Chromebook be used offline?
Yes, but you will need to do a few things ahead of time when you are online. Click here for video tutorial.
I don't want to purchase the device the school is offering. Which type of device would the school prefer I purchase if I choose to go out and buy one?
Can I use a phone as a device?
- No. See reasons why
Can I use an iPad as a device?
Is there financing available?
- Unfortunately no, but it wasn’t for a lack of trying. Jeffco Connect (where you pay student fees) isn’t set up to be able to accept partial payments and GMHS don’t have the ability to manage a payment system. We reached out to a third party company that would manage payments, but we were informed by the District that we could no go through a third party payment company. We then reached out to local banks and most of them have an option for a small loan, but we are not able to recommend a particular bank and with that, the interest rate can be a bit high. In order to better try to help families, you can fill out this form to request financial assistance from the school. It is not guaranteed that you will get assistance, but it is a good place to start.
I can't afford a device, what do I do?
- Fill out this form and someone will get back with you to discuss options.
My student is on free and reduced lunch, do I still have to pay?
- If your student is on free and reduced lunch, you can either go onto Jeffco Connect to ensure the fee has been adjusted properly, contact Karen Garrett in the finance office, or fill out this form. If you still need to apply for free and reduced lunch, go to this website for more information and scroll to the very bottom to apply.
Will my student be using this device all day in all classes?
No. Teachers will be implementing technology gradually. The school has hired a Google Certified Trainer to provide ongoing training to teachers and students in best practices and innovative technology integration that will redefine and transform the types of tasks that students will be able to do.
Technology will be used when it is the best educational tool; however, not all learning happens best on a screen. Teachers will use the best research-based instructional practices--high-tech, low-tech, and no-tech--to expose students to a variety of learning experiences and to prepare them for future endeavors in college and/or careers.
Have an additional question not answered?
Complete the form and you will get a follow up answer.