Keeping your kids safe in a digital world:
Common Sense Media is dedicated to helping families keep their students safe in an online world and gives tips on how to talk to your child about difficult topics. Spend some time going through all the resources.
GMHS Plan for Digital Safety:
- All incoming Freshman will be enrolled in workshops teaching digital citizenship and safety.
- All other grades will have digital safety lessons during Ram Time throughout the year.
- Teachers will receive ongoing professional development around the topic.
- Parent nights will be hosted, providing support for families in navigating these issues.
- Safety tips will be sent out monthly in the RamLine, the GM family newsletter.
- GMHS Digital Tools Menu will be updated regularly to communicate what online tools students are using in class.
Management Software: Insight
One of the biggest concerns for parents and teachers is ensuring the safety of students online and making sure students are actively engaged in class. Chromebooks that are purchased through the school will allow teachers to monitor all student screens, turn all screens off in order to minimize distractions, and project student work easily to the front of the room. See video for a demonstration.
Having family discussions about safety, usage, and expectations ahead of time with co-planned consequences may prevent many arguments in the future. When teenagers help develop the expectations and consequences, they are more likely to follow the rules. Below is a sample parent/student contract of expectations.
If you would like a copy of the planning guide, click here.
Copy of Checklist:
Upcoming screeing TBD.
Click HERE for more information and to purchase tickets
SCREENAGERS addresses the most pervasive parenting issue of our time head on—depicting teen struggles over social media, video games and internet addiction. The film empowers kids to best navigate the digital world and provides practical resources to help them do it.