The WJES STEAM Vision
Our vision is to engage, inspire, and empower a community of learners in thinking, collaborating, and innovating, and to prepare students to build on their skills and passions to be well prepared for college and future careers.
Our mission is to provide a well-rounded education for all students incorporating student success through Leadership, Character, and Performance, the Jackson County School System Strategic Plan, and the foundations of S.T.E.A.M. education by:
• Learning through a unique, experiential and collaborative process
• Inspiring creative, critical and analytical thinking
• Providing a rigorous and technologically enhanced curriculum
• Creating educational opportunities for students that will broaden their experience and meet future school and work-force needs
• Assisting our children to become globally competitive in the world economy;
• Incorporating researched-based information with our community-based partners.
Students at West Jackson Elementary have many opportunities to explore STEAM through environmental and agricultural education experiences. Through a variety of outdoor spaces including an aquaponics garden and greenhouse, multiple raised gardens for herbs and vegetables, livestock areas, and a nature trail with outdoor classroom, students have opportunities to engage in daily learning experiences that connect to the world around them. As a community school, we leverage many business and industry partnerships to deepen the learning and provide real-world experiences for students, including service learning and entrepreneurship.