Guidelines for

Applying to College

Q. How do I apply to college?

A. Always go to the school website and follow their directions. Some schools have their own applications, others will direct you to the Common App or My Coalition. There will either be an “Apply Here” on the homepage or you will follow the tab “Undergraduate Admissions” and then find the “Apply Now” tab.

Yeshiva University

Lander College- General admission application online. Honors application mailed in.

FDU Yeshiva Program- Students must have 30 transferable credits to apply.

Machon Lev

Q. When is the deadline for me to apply to college?

A. Application deadlines are posted on each college website.

Yeshiva University:

First General Application Deadline:

December 2, 2019

Decision Notification:

February 1, 2020

Second General Application Deadline:

February 3, 2020

Decision Notification:

April 1, 2020

Yeshiva College Honors Program:

Early Decision: Maximum Scholarship Level- $25,000

November 1, 2019

Decision Notification:

December 15, 2020

Regular Decision: Maximum Scholarship Level- $20,000

Lander College:

General Admission - Rolling Admissions

Honors Program- March 1, 2020

Q. Do I have to apply by the deadline?

A. Yes. Colleges will not consider late applications.

Q. Is the application deadline also for all the other documents?

A. Most schools will accept documents such as transcripts and letters of recommendation after the deadline. However, the student’s application cannot be late.

Q. How do schools get my transcript?

A. Fill out a College Transcript Request Form which can be obtained from Ms. Divine. The office will send your transcript by the deadline.

Q. When should I submit my Transcript Request Form?

A. Transcript Request forms should be submitted at least two weeks before the application deadline.

Q. How do schools get my SAT and/or ACT scores?

A. It is your responsibility to have your SAT or ACT scores sent directly to the colleges to which you are applying. Go directly to the SAT and ACT website to send your scores.

Yeshiva University does not require the writing section on the SAT or ACT.

  • Yeshiva University's SAT school code is 2990
  • Yeshiva University's ACT school code is 2992
  • Touro College SAT score report number: 2902
  • Touro College ACT score report number: 2961

Q. Can I apply to a college without having taken an SAT or ACT?

A. Most 4 year colleges require students to submit an SAT or ACT score. Some schools are “score optional” and do not require the SAT or ACT. All 2 year colleges (Community College/Associate's Degree) do not require test scores.

Q. When should I send my SAT or ACT scores to college?

A. Send scores when you register for the SAT or ACT. Both the SAT and ACT test registration covers four score reports. Additional reports are $12-$13.

Q. Can I send my SAT/ACT scores in to a school before I apply?

A. Yes, upon receipt a college will open a file for you and wait for your application.

Q. What is Early Decision?

A. Early Decision plans are binding. If you find a college that you are sure is right for you, you can apply early and get a decision early, usually by December 15. Early decision: You agree to attend the college if it accepts you and offers an adequate financial aid package. You can apply to only one college for Early Decision. You may also apply to other colleges through the regular admission process, but if you’re accepted by your first-choice college early, you must withdraw all other applications

Q. Should I apply Early Decision?

A. Get advice from your college guidance counselor before applying Early Decision. While it might seem appealing to get the process over with early, it might be be too soon to know if you’ve made the right college choice.

If you are applying Early Decision you need to schedule a meeting with the College Guidance Department in September.

Q. Do I need a college interview as part of the application process?

A. Some colleges require an interview while others do not. For some schools it is optional but strongly recommended.

Q. Will any schools be interviewing at Heichal HaTorah?

A. Yes. Lander College and YU will be conducting interviews at Heichal HaTorah for regular admission only. Honors interviews are conducted on campus.

Letters of Recommendation

Q. Does every college require letters of recommendation?

A. No, not all colleges require letters of recommendation. Some schools just ask for a reference, some ask for letters of recommendation and some schools do not require either. Before you ask teachers to write a letter of recommendation, find out from your school if you actually need one.

Q. What is FERPA?

A. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that affords parents the right to have access to their children’s education records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records. When a student turns 18 years old, or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student.

Q. What does it mean when it says, “waive your rights to your recommendation”?

A. “Waiving your right” means that you will not be able to see your letter of recommendation. You will never know what your teacher wrote about you or whether it helped or hurt your chances of admission.

Q. Should I waive my rights to see my recommendation?

A. Yes, always waive your rights. If you choose not to waive your right, some recommenders may decline your request, and some colleges may disregard letters submitted on your behalf.

Q. How do I get letter of recommendation from a teacher?

A. Remember that teachers who teach seniors get a lot of requests for letters of recommendation. Not to mention, a really good, thorough letter of recommendation for college is time consuming to write. When teachers agree to write you a letter, they want to write elaborately and specifically about you, which takes lots of thought and care!

The absolute best way to ask a teacher for a letter of recommendation is face-to-face, in person. This ensures that your teacher actually receives your request, and that you have the time to discuss the specifics of due dates, your college choices, etc. Following that conversation in person, send an email to the teacher with all the information you discussed.

The best way to ask a teacher in person is to schedule an appointment with them or catch up with them during a free period so you have adequate time to discuss the request. Do not simply ask a teacher after class or in the hallway in passing.

Q. Should I follow up with my teacher?

A. Yes. Follow up with a thank-you note to your teacher.

Q. When should I ask a teacher for a letter of recommendation?

A. As early as possible. A good recommendation letter takes time to write and many teachers get a lot of requests. Do not ask teachers for last minute/rush letters of recommendation.

Q. How does a teacher send in a recommendation for me to a college?

A. Many applications prefer that teachers submit their letters of recommendation online. Check with your teacher. If he or she prefers online then submit their email address to the college and they will be contacted directly by the school and instructed how to submit their letter of recommendation.

If your teacher prefers to mail a paper copy then:

Please furnish the teacher with all necessary forms, an addressed envelope and postage.

Write your name in pencil in the upper left hand corner of the envelope and inform the teacher of the application deadline.


Q. Do I need a resume?

A. You need clear list of your extracurricular activities to include in your college applications.

Q. Where do I get that list?

A. The College Guidance department will assist you in creating a resume.

Q. How do I get my resume?

A.You create a resume from the list of extracurricular activities and awards.

College Credit Courses (AP and FDU)

Q. How can I earn college credits in my senior year at Heichal HaTorah?

A. You can choose to take FDU courses or AP courses.

Q. What are FDU courses/credits?

A. Heichal HaTorah has partnered with Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) Middle College program to give our college-bound seniors the opportunity to experience university-style learning before they even graduate high school. All FDU courses offered at Heichal HaTorah have been approved by the Middle College Program. Upon completion you will receive an FDU college transcript.

Q. Why should I enroll in FDU courses?

A. This is a great way to earn college credit while still being in high school.

Q.What is an AP Course

A. AP or Advanced Placement course is administered by The College Board, consists of standardized high school courses that are roughly equivalent to undergraduate college courses. After completing an AP class, students typically take the AP exam in that subject, which can earn them credits and accelerated placement in college.

Q. Why should I take AP courses?

A. Advanced Placement classes are rigorous and demanding. Taking AP courses can improve college admissions chances. Be better prepared for college. AP classes sharpen students' writing skills, teach them how to think critically, and improve their problem-solving abilities.

Q. How well do I have to do in an FDU course to earn college credit?

A. You need to earn a final grade of C (75) or above to transfer credit.

Q. How well do I have to do in an AP course to earn college credit?

A. AP exams are scored on a scale of 1 (lowest) through 5 (highest). A 4 or 5 will receive course credits. AP policies vary from school to school, so it is recommended that you check with each school that you are considering.

Q. How do I register for an FDU course?

A. Registration is online. Instructions have been posted in the Google Classroom.

Q. When is the Fall FDU Registration deadline?

A. The registration portal closes on Sept 22, 2019.

Colleges work on a two semester basis, Fall and Spring.

Fall registration is in September. Spring registration is in February.

Q. How much does an FDU course cost?

A. A three credit course is $267. Payment is due with registration.

Q. How much does an AP course cost?

A. The fee for each AP Exam is $94.

Q. How much college credit can I earn by taking an AP or FDU course?

A. Each AP and FDU courses will earn you 3 credits.

Q. I am taking a 6 credit class, do I have to register now?

A. Yes, you must register for the first 3 credits in the Fall and the second 3 credits in the Spring.

Q. I am taking a 3 credit class, do I have to register now?

A. All other FDU courses are one semester courses will give you 3 credits. You need to register one time, in the fall.

Q. Should I take the AP test for credit or FDU credit?

A. That depends on the type of the student you are. AP tests are hard. If earning a 4 or a 5 is a big reach, then you should probably take the course for FDU credit.

Q. If I take the AP exam and get a 4 or 5 and I also took the course for FDU credit, can I get credit for both?

A. There is no “double dipping” A college will accept one or the other, but not both.