Congratulations to the students below who have been accepted into the Biomedical Academy for the 2020-2021 school year. This is an exceptional year of circumstances that highlight the appreciation, importance, and impact of biomedical science careers. Consider this a step forward in your career journey. Next steps include:
- Familiarize yourself with Biomedical Academy expectations as written in the handbook, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTbQyTCdiEG7vuCgNdAUuML-ZOtrrNhq/view?usp=sharing . The BA Agreement will be distributed and collected the first week of school.
- 8th grade registration dates for the 2020-2021 school year are to be determined.
- Registration dates for summer school are to be determined.
- The BA Ice Cream Social immediately following Link Crew date is to be determined.
- Updates for the events listed above will be published here.
For those who are still interested in applying, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on a waitlist. Please indicate student’s first name, last name, ID (if applicable), year of school beginning the 2020-2021 school year. The waitlist is first come, first served and only lasts through mid September 2020. If an opening arises, you will be contacted along with your school counselor. Students cannot transfer mid-year into the BA due to academic content covered on the PLTW End of Course Assessment (similar to transferring into an AP class mid-year), unless transferring schools with the exact class.
Dear 2020-2021 Biomedical Academy Applicants,
Thank you for completing the application as the elevator pitches are complete. The academies have received an overwhelming number of applicants and we also discovered students applying to more than one academy, which complicates things. We are working on a system of equitable acceptance and hope to inform you by Friday, March 20, at latest. Thank you for your patience.
Applying into the Biomedical Academy for the 2019-2020 school year has ended and is not accepting new students. In order to apply for the 2020-2021 school year, please complete the online application that will be available in late January 2020.
The application link for entry into the BA for the 2020-2021 school year will be available from Friday, January 31-Friday, February 21, https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfBZtPAWmef58n5TFG1LtYmFDBU1z1gw3h1T5eyYBsbLNa9rA/viewform .
1. Complete the online application. The maximum number of new students is as follows: 108 incoming 9th graders, 12 incoming 10th graders.
2. Choose a date to appear at the 3:20-3:50pm Academy Introduction date and location. A maximum of 30 students per classroom per day. Students will be notified if he/she will be rescheduled due to overcapacity. If one cannot attend one's assigned date, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible to reschedule. See Google Sheet below for your date and location.
- Tuesday 2/25, Portable 7
- Wednesday 2/26, Portable 7
- Thursday 2/27, Portable 7 (if necessary)
- Tuesday 2/25, Portable 8
- Wednesday 2/26, Portable 8
- Thursday 2/27, Portable 8 (if necessary)
3. Create a 30-60 second elevator pitch that succinctly describes your skills and talents. To model and explain how to format your elevator pitch, watch the video, “How to Create an Elevator Pitch” by Michael Hyatt at, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t1ar_IpmUU . See the directions below.
4. On Academy Introduction day, applicants will interact with at least 3 9-11th grade Biomedical Academy students to present their elevator pitch, but also this is an opportunity for applicants to ask about the program, expectations, and challenges of participating in the Biomedical Academy.
Below is a sample Elevator Pitch from Eliana Cuevas, Class of 2021.