The Biomedical Academy challenges students to take on the same problems as biomedical science professionals, such as teaching healthy lifestyle choices, designing prosthesis, and using DNA gel electrophoresis to solve a crime. Working with the same tools used by professionals in hospitals and labs, students engage in compelling, hands-on activities and work together to find solutions to problems. In this small learning community, students have opportunities for leadership and enhancing soft skills in an academically rigorous environment.
Academy Application Process
The Biomedical Academy is limited to two sections of students per academic year and cannot accept all applicants.
1) Application: Apply for the Biomedical Academy from January 26-February 16
2) Complete 3 References by having an adult complete the google form at the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/IwXF2GZGwPLsqsUp2.
3) Sign up for one Performance Assessment date on the application: Tuesday 2/20, Wednesday 2/21, Friday 2/23, Monday 2/26, Tuesday 2/27. Show up from 3:25-4:30pm at room Portable 6. Be prepared to work in a group and utilize laptops to execute a task.
4) Results will be posted on this website by March 1.
Link for 3 References
If the reference cannot be completed electronically, you (the student) 1) click on the link, 2) print the reference pages, 3) hand the document to the adult, 4) provide the following address to send the completed reference to "PGHS, c/o P. Cochon, 9531 Bond Road, Elk Grove, CA 95624".
Event: Spaghetti Dinner, PGHS Freshman Parent Night, Thursday, March 1: Support the PGHS Biomedical Academy and have dinner ready after Freshman Parent Night by purchasing a spaghetti dinner in 3 easy steps.
The dinner includes enough to feed four people: spaghetti in marinara sauce (with or without meat), salad, rolls, and dessert.
1) Complete the order form at: https://goo.gl/forms/6cCXRzADLyOrsMmq2 by Friday, February 23 to reserve a spaghetti dinner.
2) Pay for your meal here at www.pghswebstore.com and click on the link Biomedical Academy-Dinner. First time users must create an account. If you do not have a child at PGHS, you may register as a community member. Additional login help may be found here, https://webstores.activenetwork.com/Click_here.pdf.
3) Pick up your meal immediately after the PGHS Freshman Parent Night meeting on Thursday, March 1st or between 5 & 8 PM on Schoolloop Road in front of the PGHS MP room.