To translate this page using the Chrome browser, right-click anywhere on the screen and select the translate option.





You are such an important part of your child's education!

Your child's school should communicate with you, in your language, about your child's education. This often includes translated documents and a language interpreter for meetings and conversations. You have the right to these services even if you speak some English and even if your child can speak or read in English. 

Your school should communicate with you in your language about important information and opportunities for your child, This includes information about: 

Requesting Language Services:

If you receive information that is not in your language, please let the school know you would like it translated in writing or explained orally to you in your language. 

You may request an interpreter to help you communicate either over the phone or during face-to-face conferences. The interpreter can be requested by a parent or by an ASD staff member.  We encourage you to first contact your student’s school to request immediate support with your translation and interpretation needs. To make arrangements, please contact your child's school, teacher, school leader, or district office.

Each school has an I-speak card that you can use to show them which language you would like to use to communicate. 

I Speak.pdf


Language Access Liaison


PHONE: 253-931-4950


Interpreter /Translator


PHONE: 425-272-5573

PHONE: 253-931-4950

Language Access Definitions:

LAP: A Language Access Plan  is a document that spells out how an institution will provide services to non-English speakers or people with limited English proficiency. 

LEP: LEP persons are individuals who are unable to communicate effectively in English either verbally, in writing, or both, because their primary language is not English and they have not developed fluency in the English language. A person with LEP may have difficulty in one or more of four domains of language: speaking, listening, reading, and writing.

Primary Language: the language that someone uses most frequently to communicate with.

Interpretation: The process of orally rendering communication from one language to another while retaining the same meaning.

Consecutive Interpretation: Interpreting messages back and forth after each person has spoken, so that one person speaks at a time.  

Simultaneous Interpretation: Interpretation takes places at the same time as the speaker, slightly behind the speaker’s words. The speaker does not stop talking, and the interpreter does not stop talking. 

Translation: The replacement of written text from one language (source language) into an equivalent written text in another language (target language).

Parent/Guardian Identification: A part of the annual registration process; The process that the Auburn School District identifies LEP families.

Concerns and Feedback:

If you have concerns about the school’s interpretation or translation services—or if you were not offered an interpreter or translation you needed—you have several options.

Talk with your principal or a school employee you are comfortable with. A discussion with your school principal is often the best first step to address your concerns. Explain what happened, and let the principal know what they can do to help resolve the problem. Talk with your school district. You can also contact the Auburn School  District’s Language Access Liaison,  Jennifer Bolin at (253-931-4950) or  to share your concerns.

You can file a complaint. To file a complaint, explain what happened in writing—in any language—and send it to the district by mail, email, or hand delivery. Make sure to keep a copy for your records. Within 30 calendar days, the district will investigate your complaint and respond to you in writing. 

To request an interpreter or translation, please submit an interpreter or translation request to Interpreter Services at