Commonly Asked Questions

My child has ADHD, What does this mean? What can be done to help him/her be successful at school?

    • The Connecticut State Department of Education, Bureau of Special Education has developed a list of resources that address the needs of students experiencing Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (
    • Though not intended as an exhaustive list:
      • these resources do consist of key state and federal information on ADHD
      • links to several organizations to enhance understanding and service delivery to students presenting with attentional concerns
      • Please see below for some guides or articles on the basic facts about ADHD

If you have questions or need additional information, feel free to contact our office or contact Dr. Jocelyn Mackey, at the Bureau of Special Education ( or 860-713-6932).

Office Civil Rights know-rights-201607-504.pdf

My child's team is asking for a MAPS meeting, what is this?

  • The McGill Action Planning System (MAPS) is a process designed to bring together the key individuals in a person’s life to discuss and articulate a dream or positive future for your child.
  • During this futures planning session, the team responds to a series of questions pertaining to your child's hopes, dreams, fears, strengths, and needs. The MAPS process concludes with an action plan specifying the team’s next steps to make the dream/vision a reality and to prevent the fears from materializing.
  • Please see below for a guide to MAPS created by a University in Rhode Island.

What is MAPS.pdf

My child has to complete their portfolio for graduation, where do we go for support?

  • Help is available through your child's school counselor

What is a lexile level?

  • Please see the informative article attached below.
Lexile information.pdf

My child is taking Civics. Is there a community service requirement?

  • Yes, please see attached below and/or contact his/her teacher.
CIVICS Community Service 2016.pdf

What does the CTAA test really assess?

According to the Connecticut State Department of Education, "Alternate assessments are designed to measure the knowledge and skills of students with significant cognitive disabilities as required by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). This assessment system is based on the same Connecticut state standards established for all Connecticut public school students. Alternate assessments support student independence to the greatest extent possible by making academic content accessible and the expected achievement levels appropriate."

  • Please see below for a brochure created by the state to explain these assessments.
  • Additionally, the state has created brochures to explain what your child can expect to learn this year based on grade in addition to resources available at home for academic enrichment

Did you know that when your child turns 18 years old, their special education, and in most cases legal rights, become theirs?

Some parents may consider voluntary conservator or guardianship, according to the State Department of Developmental Services

"When persons in the State of Connecticut turns 18 years of age, they are considered to be an adult. That means they can make decisions about their lives such as where they live; medical treatment; educational or vocational opportunities; how they spend their money and who has access to their records.

In Connecticut legal guardianship has to be obtained through Probate Court before a parent, family member or others can make decisions for a person with an intellectual disability. Not every person with an intellectual disability needs a legal guardian. There are different types of guardianship, including plenary (full), limited, and standby of person and/or estate.

The legal guardian's role is to help a person make the best decision for himself/herself, not to dictate how he or she should live their life.

The application process can be started before the person turns 18, though the person must be 18 years of age at the time of the hearing to decide the matter of guardianship. " (

(The forms below are from the State of Connecticut Judicial Branch Official Court Web forms site )

For your convenience they are listed below, however, you may want to contact your local probate court for guidance.

Some workshops on this topic may be offered, please look at the upcoming calendar or call 211 for assistance.

Assessment required for guardianship of person with intellectual disability.pdf
Petition of Guardianship for students with Intellectual Disability.pdf
Petition for Appointment of Conservator.pdf
Petition for Voluntary Conservator.pdf
probate waiver of fee form.pdf

Wondering about Scholarships, Summer Opportunities or Additional Transition Help?

BRS intro information and checklist.pdf
DDS eligibility_application.pdf
How to prepare for 7th grade.pdf
How to prepare for 8th grade.pdf
How to prepare for 9th grade.pdf