Business & CAREERS
What am I doing? Where am I gong?
New Zealand National Curriculum -
Students will gain knowledge, skills and experience to:
* Understand how people seek and have sought economic growth through business, enterprise and innovation.
* Understand how people's management of resources impacts on environmental and social sustainability.
* Understand how economic decisions impact on people, communities and nations.
WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT "BUSINESS"?
In small groups / pairs:
- Brainstorm what you already know.
- Discuss / share your ideas with class.
'Business Unit' Starter Activities!...
Click on the LINKS below!
1) Business Intro - Discuss and Copy on to your SLIDES / Doc.
2) Defining the key words - Copy table onto SLIDES / Doc and complete activity. Continue with remaining Key Terms & Concepts as you learn about them.
3) Try this QUIZLET to recap some of the vocabulary that you have learned so far!
4) kahoot logos quiz - Challenge your Class!
5) Shift Happens video - Write down some of the surprising things that you learn from this video. WRITE DOWN YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THE THINGS THAT YOU FOUND SURPRISING and SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS WITH YOUR CLASS!
WATCH & LEARN...
(Watch these Cool clips and learn about
BUSINESS, ENTERPRISE & INNOVATION / CAREERS)...
What is the difference between a "GOOD" and a "SERVICE"?
A GOOD is an object people want that they can touch or hold.
A SERVICE is an action that a person does for someone else.
Examples: Goods are items you buy, such as food, clothing, toys, furniture, and toothpaste. Services are actions such as haircuts, medical check-ups, mail delivery, car repair, and teaching.
"NEEDS" vs. "WANTS"
For a business to be successful, the business should fulfill a NEED and/or a WANT.
A NEED is something a person requires to have a safe and secure life, e.g. food, clothing, shelter, while a WANT is something that might make life easier or more enjoyable (e.g. designer clothing) but is not essential.
Needs and wants change as you get older and depend on where you live in the world.
What are the SECTORS of Business / Industry?
Primary Sector -
Primary Industry deals with extracting or growing new materials to make products: for example, mining gold, fishing, dairy farming, growing coffee
Secondary Sector -
Secondary Industry, also called the manufacturing industry, involves processing raw materials into the items we purchase and consume. This industry includes jewelers ,dairy processing plants and assembly plants.
Tertiary Sector -
In the Tertiary or Service Industry, people provide services to consumers. This industry includes doctors, teachers, hairdressers and cafes.
Quaternary Sector -
The Quaternary Industry is where research and development of products occur. This industry includes universities, science research facilities and market research companies.