2. Mid Sized
Open source Accounting/ERP for Small and Mid Sized Manufacturers, Distributors, Retail and Service businesses
(from getting started to individual modules and functions
Deployment alternatives (In-house, Cloud based, Virtual Machine)
Postbooks Community version - Binary including server and client for local install
(There are versions for Windows, Mac and Linux)
- Server and database is Platform independent. Built on fully open source technology stack.
- Very strong in manufacturing
- Free community version (Postbooks) is very full featured
- Mature and reliable system
- Backed by a solid commercial organization, with good support
- Parts of the system are web based, such as the customer portal for entering incidents
- Application client has some advantages over browser, such as more flexible windowing.
- Large and active community. Good DIY support forum.
- Easy automated installation
- Good integrated report writer
- Good extensions and plugins available on exchange section of site (see link above)
- Good documentation. Good training material and videos.
- Available in several languages
- Scalable upgrade path to commercial versions
- Good Integration with other open source projects like Drupal, and Ubercart
- New architecture supports web and mobile with good performance
- Not fully web based yet. App client must be installed on all workstations, and updated when the program is upgraded. This is offset by the speed and functionality of the application client. It is freely available, and easy to install on either windows, Mac or Linux.
- 4 levels – all open source, but top 3 are not free. Different versions of the database (and corresponding applications) for the free community version and the proprietary/commercial version. Once you upgrade to the commercial version, the database changes, and you are committed to the commercial maintenance fees and you can never go back.
General comments from evaluation
Compares favorably with other alternatives, both open source and traditional, proprietary solutions. Good choice for most medium sized organizations. Can always start off with Postbooks and do a full evaluation or pilot test etc. Suitability of feature set depends on client needs.
Publications and Articles