Conditions & Expectations
Please read thoroughly before beginning your application
- Teachers must be a college graduate (in any field) or currently pursuing a degree. Formal teaching experience is not required.
- Teachers must be fluent in English. WIESCO accepts non-native speakers of English as volunteers at the discretion of three advisory board members (including the president).
- Teachers must work well with adolescents, present lessons in an interesting and interactive manner, be flexible, adaptive, and posses an interest in learning about different cultures through direct, personal experiences.
- Student assistants must be 15 to 18 years old. A parent or guardian who is a teacher or another sponsoring teacher delegated by the parent/guardian must be volunteering at the same program.
- Knowledge of the host country's language is not required.
- Applications are reviewed once all required documentation has been submitted. Applicants are notified of a decision within two weeks of complete application submission.
- Volunteer status is confirmed upon receipt of the participation fee. The participation fee is refundable at the discretion of the WIESCO president. Applicants and volunteers are encouraged to contact George Hirsch or a program director with any questions about the participation fee.
- Volunteers are responsible for airfare to and from the host country. Many WIESCO volunteers choose to travel from the United States together, however this is not a requirement. A travel itinerary must be submitted to the program director prior to departure. If traveling independently it is the volunteer's responsibility to arrive at the prearranged pick-up location or to arrange their own transportation to the program site.
- Volunteers may be responsible for a portion or all of the cost of weekend and post-program excursion meals and lodging. Participation is optional.
- Passports are the responsibility of the volunteer and must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of return to the United States.
- Health insurance is the responsibility of the volunteer. WIESCO recommends verifying coverage for international travel prior to departure.
- Volunteers are traveling internationally as representatives of WIESCO and the United States. Volunteers shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner that is respectful and professional. Volunteers are expected to abide by laws, demonstrate cultural sensitivity, and refrain from any conduct that may bring into disrepute WIESCO or the United States.