October 1st, 2017
the VSY FYI
October 1, 2017
vol. 17-18 Issue 06
- Wednesday, October 4th - *SAC Meeting, 6:00pm
- Wednesday, October 4th - *PTA General Meeting, 7:00pm
- Friday, October 6th - *Reading/Math Coach Orientation, 9:30am, Dining Room
Important Dates to Remember
- Thursday, October 12th - Thursday, October 19th - Fall Book Fair
- Friday, October 13th - Fall Festival, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Tuesday, October 17th - Fall Picture Day
*Denotes an event that is re-scheduled from Hurricane Irma school closure.
Noteworthy Calendar Changes
- PTA Meeting: The September PTA Meeting was cancelled due to Hurricane Irma school closures. We are re-scheduling it for Wednesday, October 4th at 7:00pm. Because of this, we will not be holding the previously scheduled October 18th PTA Meeting.
- TUF Fall Fundraiser: We are cancelling the Fall TUF Fundraiser. We want to give our community time to recover from the destruction and loss suffered during Hurricane Irma. We will adjust Spring fundraising events to accommodate PTA needs.
- Parent PE: We are postponing the October 6th Parent PE. Stay tuned for a new date.
BCPS is Offering Free Breakfast & Lunch to ALL Students
As a way to assist families as they recover from Hurricane Irma, BCPS is offering free breakfast and lunch to ALL students through October 20th.
About the Reading and Math Coach Program
Want to help our VSY students soar? Become a Math or Reading Coach! Math and Reading Coaches are parent volunteers who assist students in need of a little extra boost. These programs require a commitment from October to May. Each Reading Coach is assigned to a specific student and will meet with him/her twice a week for 20-30 minutes throughout the school year. Math coaches meet with small groups of students (3-4) who need a little extra boost in math one time a week for 30 minutes. Attend the orientation on Friday, October 6th at 9:30am in the VSY Dining Room to learn more!
Join the VSY PTA! Last Week to Join at Discounted Rate
It is time to join the VSY PTA! You can register online at http://www.vsypta.org. You must register every year to be part of the PTA. The early bird registration special has been extended for ONE MORE WEEK. The price to join is only $5 until October 6th. Then, the price will increase to $10. Being a member of the PTA does not require you to volunteer.
- Fall Festival: Fall Festival is just around the corner, on Friday, October 13th. This event is a fun, FREE family night, from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM, that includes rides, games, food, petting zoo, and a pumpkin patch. We need many volunteers to help with daytime set up, handing out free student meals, selling water, and clean up. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping.
- Fall Book Fair: The Fall Book Fair will take place from Thursday, October 12th - Thursday, October 19th. We are in need of a parent Book Fair Chair to work with Ms. Narkier, VSY Media Specialist, to transform the VSY Media Center into a literary wonderland for our students! If you are interested in helping, please email email@example.com. Volunteers are needed to help Ms. Narkier in the Media Center this coming week on the following days:
- Monday, October 2nd, from 9:30am - 12:00pm
- Wednesday, October 4th, from 9:30am - 12:00pm
- Thursday, October 5th, from 9:30am - 12:00pm
- Friday, October 6th, from 9:30am - 12:00pm
- LEGO Club: Lego Club is looking for parent volunteers. If you are interested in helping develop STEM skills in Fourth and Fifth Grade students and are available on Wednesdays from 3:30pm-5:30pm, please email Peter Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New VSY PTA Website
We are excited to unveil a new VSY PTA website! You can still find us at vsypta.org, but we’ve had a makeover! The new site aims to be more user-friendly for our VSY PTA community to navigate. Some key changes:
- All past issues of the VSY FYI are archived on the site. Find the VSY FYI tab at the top of the home page. For any members of the VSY community who are not receiving the FYI but would like to, please visit the VSY FYI and fill out the form to be added to the mailing list.
- Please find important BCPS links, including the color-coded academic calendar and official VSY webpage, at the bottom of the homepage.
- You will still use the VSY PTA webpage to log at home volunteer hours. The format for doing so has changed, however. You will now fill out a Google form.
- You will continue to sign up for volunteer opportunities on the VSY PTA webpage. We are now using Sign-Up Genius, embedded on the webpage, to do so. This does NOT require any kind of login or registration from users.
We hope the VSY PTA community enjoys the new look and functionality! Please email@example.com if you have any questions.
Find VSY on Social Media
VSY has increased its social media presence. Look for VSY on Facebook and Twitter to stay up-to-date on all the amazing things happening at our school!
And a Thank You to Our Sponsor...
Adrian Scott, Realtor, serving East Fort Lauderdale with integrity!