Technology For A Cause -Enhancing Skills Empowering Kids
Welcome to my website Technology For A Cause - Enhancing Skills Empowering Kids :) Some great insight into interactive and engaging activities with kids at the SOS Children Village Peshawar(an orphanage) and Ran'aa Child Welfare Foundation (school for street children).
Get ready to explore various technology resources used during the whole project including the Khans Academy, Flipgrid, mathgames, Mathletics, iEARN etc and take a walk through picture gallery.
See details for the Online School Initiative started using the Google Classroom, 3 sections setup using the Google Classroom, which has currently 32 student enrolled from both schools. Check website for details
New!!! Ranaa Child Welfare Foundation has a Podcast channel now, where students share their learning stories in the form of short interviews with their peers. Check website for details:
New!!! Check some glimpses of the Online Techy Kids Show - Catch Kids@Ranaa live every Monday hosting a live show on Facebook.
How it started?
- This project started in Dec 2016 with an idea to provide quality education experiences to underprivileged kids using both traditional & technology based resources.
- The project is an attempt to ensure the implementation of UN SDG 4 which says , ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Technology is nothing. Whats important is that you have a faith in people, that they are basically good and smart, if you give them tools, they will do wonderful things with them, Steve Jobs.
- When introducing the iPad 2 in March, Jobs summarized his strategy this way: “It is in Apple’s DNA that technology alone is not enough—it’s technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the results that make our heart sing.”
UN Sustainable Development Goals
The UN SDGs came into effect in Jan 2016, a total of 17 global goals targeted at peace and justice, quality education, zero hunger, no poverty etc, further divided into 169 targets and indicators. The goals basically focus on eradication of poverty and hunger, improvement of health and education, protecting the planet, thus making it peaceful and just place to live for all humanbeings on this planet.
Sustainable Development Goal 4
Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
Target 4.1 By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys complete free, equitable and quality primary and secondary education leading to relevant and effective learning outcomes.
Target 4.7 By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development.
Target 4A Build and upgrade education facilities that are child, disability and gender sensitive and provide safe, non-violent, inclusive and effective learning environments for all. For details https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdgs
I believe as individuals we can all play a positive role to ensure the successful implementation of UN SDGs, each one of us is blessed with several strengths, lets utilize them to make this planet a better place to live for all.
During the whole initiative we have been working on enhancing various skills of students at the SOS Children Village Peshawar/Pakistan. The various skills include numeracy, literacy, IT, creativity etc. Kids have been given the opportunity to explore and learn with the world.
They have been given exposure to various education resources (both technology and traditional) and learning experiences that kids in elite schools get. Sine there is a marked difference between curriculum taught at the public and private schools.
Just to name a few kids participated in an online live math competition with kids from around the globe.
Kids have been working on various global education projects of iEARN (International Education and Resource Network) including International book club which has opened doors to different countries and their diverse cultures, Global Food and Tell project has given an insight into healthy food, manners, sharing etc Details on Activities page.
Contact Details School 1:
Organization Name: SOS Children Village Peshawar
Contact No: +92-91-5812776
Address: Beside Shoukat Khanam Hospital 5-A-2,
Main Boulevard Phase V, Hayatabad Peshawar.
Contact Details School 2:
- Organization Name: Ran'aa Child Welfare Foundation, Peshawar.
- Contact No: +920345 9099001
- Address: Town community office town 3 circular road university town, Peshawar, Pakistan
Contact TFC -ESEK