This is a list of the independent dance instructors that teach at The Dance Space:
- Phyllis Harris
- The Salsa Guy (Ángel Alberto Rodríguez Serrano)
- Ian Gillette
- Mike Recant
- Gabor Seres
- John Holcomb
- Ashley Byrd
- Penny Jesmer
If you are interested in learning to dance, or improving your current level of dance, simply select the instructor you like best and contact them directly for information on private lesson availability and pricing.
Instructor contact, specialty and experience information is below:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 757-567-1945 (text & talk)
- Facebook: facebook.com/phyllis.harris.5458
- Social Dancing for all levels & preferences
- American Style Ballroom (Foxtrot, Waltz, Tango, V. Waltz, Quickstep)
- Club Dancing for fun or a specific event (East & West Coast Swing, Night Club Two Step, Rumba, Cha Cha, Hustle, Salsa, Bachata, Merengue
- Argentine Tango (all fundamentals, close & salon embrace, leading & following skills, social etiquette)
- Wedding Dance Choreographer - making you comfortable for your special dance with creative, easy & fun ideas (Bride/groom, mother/son, father/daughter, wedding party)
- Cotillion Instructor
- DJ & Hostess for Senior Community Dance Socials
30 years experience as a full time dance instructor, 18 years experience teaching Argentine Tango, 9 years experience as a hostess/DJ in senior communities (Independent, assisted living & memory care), 9 years as the dance director for Riverside School (5th, 6th, 7th & 8th grades), 2 years as dance instructor for the Richmond Renaissance Cotillion.
Salsa Guy Richmond (The Salsa Guy)
- E-mail: iJustLoveToDance@live.com
- Phone: 804-601-6261 (text & talk)
- Web site: salsaguyrichmond.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/richmondsalsaguy
- Twitter: twitter.com/salsa_richmond
- Instagram: instagram.com/salsaguyrichmond/
- Register for a lesson: salsaguyrichmond.com/registration
Instruction in Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Cha Cha, Salsa Rueda, Bachata Rueda, Merengue Rueda, ballroom dances.
Trained in Latin Folk Dances, Ballroom by Arthur Murray in Mambo, Merengue, Cha-cha, American Tango, Waltz, Foxtrot, Swing, West Coast Swing, Hustle and Quick Step. Obtained silver, bronze and gold levels. Instructor for Salsa, Ballroom and Tango.
I’m Ángel Alberto Rodríguez Serrano a freelance Latin and ballroom dance instructor. Dancing and instructing are my passions. I currently instruct Salsa, Salsa Rueda and basic ballroom dances at The Dance Space, Tangueros LC Dance Studio, Rigby’s Jig Dance Studio and Stony Point live 360 Studio.
I train new dancers in various ballroom and Latin dances for local fundraisers to compete in the Dancing with the Richmond Stars and to celebrate life in the Pink Tie Gala. I am and always will be a dance student. If I can be of service feel free to contact me.
My style of instruction has been described as friendly, entertaining & funny, but you'll be the judge of that.
My instruction emphasizes how to lead and follow a dance partner.
My goal is to give you the self confidence you need to be able to dance with anyone.
- International Standard
- American Smooth
- Associate Degree in Latin American Dancing with the I.S.T.D (Highly Commended) 12/17/89
- Associate Degree in Ballroom Dancing with the I.S.T.D (Highly Commended) 4/7/90
- Licentiate Degree in Ballroom Dancing with the I.S.T.D. (Highly Commended) 4/29/95
- Licentiate Degree in Latin American Dancing with the I.S.T.D. (Highly Commended) 8/3/96
- Fellowship Degree in Ballroom Dancing with the I.S.T.D. (Highly Commended) 12/6/98
- Membership Degree in American Style Smooth with the N.A.D.T.A. (Highly Commended) 12/19/97
- Membership Degree in American Style Rhythm with the N.A.D.T.A. (Highly Commended) 12/19/97
- Ian is also an examiner for ProDVIDA.
Ian is originally from the UK, Ian is a highly respected teacher, coach, choreographer and adjudicator. He began dancing when he was 7 having been primarily trained by former World Ballroom Champions, Brenda Winslade and Peter Eggleton. Ian has also had the opportunity of training with many top coaches in the industry and his competitive career was highly successful. Some of his titles include:
- Juvenile World Trophy Latin American Champion
- Juvenile World Trophy Ballroom Finalist
- International Juvenile Ballroom Champion
- Junior Ballroom and Latin American Champion
- Open Professional Ballroom Finalist
- US Pro-Am 10 Dance Finalist
- Multiple times World Pro-Am Ballroom Finalist
- Multiple times US Pro-Am Ballroom Vice Champion & Champion
- Multiple Pro/Am Top Teacher Awards
- 2002 ICADC Professional Honoree of the Year
Ian has been teaching since 1989 and has extensive knowledge of technique and musicality. His students and couples have been successful at National Championship level. Although he is based in the metro DC area, Ian teaches in Richmond on a weekly basis. He also travels extensively in the US. Ian is delighted to be associated with The Dance Space.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: 804-314-8523 (text & talk)
- Beginner dance instruction
- American Style Smooth (Foxtrot, Waltz, Tango, V. Waltz, International Quickstep)
- American Style Rhythm (East Coast Swing, Rumba, Cha Cha, Hustle/Disco, Bolero, Merengue)
- Beginner (Level 1) West Coast Swing
- Singles, couples and same-sex couples
- Wedding dance choreography and instruction
- Group class instruction (6 to 40 people)
- Ballroom Dance DJ services
Mr. Recant has been studying Ballroom Dancing since the early 1980's and has been teaching beginning Ballroom private lessons and group classes in the Richmond Metro area for over 20 years. He enjoys a reputation as being both an excellent teacher and making Ballroom/Latin dance understandable and fun. He has taught group classes for Chesterfield County Adult Education and is a regular group class instructor at The Dance Space.
Mr. Recant is also a frequent Ballroom Dance DJ for The Dance Space as well as DJing for both the Richmond and TriCties USA Dance chapters.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 804-402-3382 (talk & text)
- American Smooth - Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz
- American Rhythm - Cha Cha, Rumba, East Coast Swing, Bolero, Mambo
- International Ballroom - Watz, Tango, Viennese Waltz, Slow Foxtrot, Quickstep
- International Latin - Cha Cha Cha, Samba, Rumba, Paso Doble, Jive
- Club Style Dances - Hustle, Merengue, Salsa, Bachata, West Coast Swing
- Social Dancing - all styles, all levels
- Wedding Dance Choreographer
Bachelors Degree in Ballroom Dancing from the Hungarian Dance Academy
Gabor is originally from Hungary, the Heart of Europe, and currently resides in Richmond, VA. He is a Former Professional Standard National Champion, a multiple-time Standard Rising Star Champion, multiple-time Professional American Smooth Finalist, and he has more than 15 years experience in teaching, coaching and competing at National and International levels as well.
Gabor is well known for his passion and fun-filled charisma, which guarantees entertainment and fun during his lessons. He also pays great attention to details, which helps many of his students to reach a higher level and eventually to make finals as well as many first places in various competitions. He is also well trained in International Latin, American Smooth, American Rhythm, and currently competing in Professional American Smooth. Gabor also frequently competes with his students at many competitions across the United States.