The Dance Space
The Dance Space News - October 22nd
- West Side of Swing WCS Workshops with Robin Smith on Saturday Oct 27th. One hour workshops at 3:30, 4:30 and 7pm. WCS dance from 8-11pm. Contact Ashley Byrd <email@example.com> for workshop details.
- Annual TDS Halloween Dance on Sunday Oct 28th. Nightclub 2Step lesson from 6-7, dancing from 7-9pm. Come in costume with prizes for "Best of ...". Music is a Ballroom/Country mix by DJ Doug McRae.
- Sunday pre-party classes (6-7pm, $10 lesson & party):
- Phyllis Harris intermediate Tango - Oct 7th
- Adela & Eddie West Coast Swing - Oct 14th
(Special Event: $10 for WCS class only, does not include dance)
- John Holcomb intermediate Cha Cha - Oct 21st
- Ashley Byrd intermediate Night Club 2 Step - Oct 28th
- The Dance Space Redefines "Beginner Ballroom"! Every Thursday night you can just drop-in and start your Ballroom/Latin/Swing adventure. No advanced registration required. No dance partner needed. Take only the classes you want/need.
- Introductory price of $5 per class.
- Beginner 1 7pm-7:45 Designed for non-dancers and new-dancers. No dance experience needed! Each week we rotate among the 6 major ballroom dances teaching the basics of that dance (Foxtrot, Waltz, Tango, Rumba, Swing, Hustle). This week is Foxtrot.
- Beginner 2 8pm-8:45 every Thursday. This class is for people with basic Ballroom experience who are comfortable doing one or two steps in a ballroom dance but who want to expand their horizons. Every six week we will rotate among the more-challenging Ballroom dances (Cha Cha, Tango, WCS, Foxtrot, Rumba, Waltz). This week is Cha Cha.
- Need a dance lesson? Check out our INSTRUCTORS page which provides a list of the independent instructors teaching at The Dance Space.
Typical Weekly Events
(see calendar below for this month's events):
- Sun 6-7pm: Sunday pre-party classes (see above list)
- Mon 7-8pm: 'The Salsa Guy' Basic Salsa (except 10/29)
- Mon 7-8pm: 'The Salsa Guy' Basic Bachata (10/29)
- Mon 8-9pm: 'The Salsa Guy' Int Salsa
- Wed 6-7pm: Jazz Dance with Nicole Baggesen (starts 10/17)
- Wed 7-8pm: West Coast Swing Class with Ashley Byrd
- Thur 7-7:45pm: Beginner Ballroom 1
- Thur 8-8:45pm: Beginner Ballroom 2
- Sat 7:30-8:30pm: Beginner Swing Lesson (except 10/20 & 10/27)
- Sat 7:00-8:00pm: WSOS West Coast Swing Workshop (10/27 only)
- Sun 7-9pm : Ballroom Dance Party
- Wed 8-10pm: West Coast Swing Practice Dance
- Sat 8:30-11:30pm: Open Swing Dancing (except 10/20 & 10/27))
- Sat 8-11pm: West Coast Swing Dance (10/27 only)
Thank You for a Great Grand Re-Opening!
- We want to thank everyone that helped make our Grand-Reopening a success! That includes all the dancers who attended, and everyone who worked behind the scenes to support the event (greeters, food handler, decorations people, etc). We also want to thank the following instructors and organizations for donating raffle gifts for our event:
- Adela Su-Karoliussen
- Ángel Rodriguez
- Ashley Bowker Byrd
- Phyllis Harris
- USA Dance
Keep in touch!
Join our mailing list!
Get an update on upcoming The Dance Space events in your inbox every Monday morning. Sign up for our weekly e-mail list.
Simply enter your name and e-mail address, in the form at the bottom of this web page, and click the SUBMIT button.
Like us on Facebook!
We Want To Hear From You!
The Dance Space is looking for feedback from you! We need your perspective on our studio, to make your dancing experience more enjoyable.
- What do you like or don't like
- What new classes/events would you like to see?
- What can we improve or what good ideas should we try?
Simply use the form on our CONTACT page to send us your input.
Welcome to The Dance Space
The Dance Space is a dance facility run by Ginny Engler and Mike Recant. We have been open since April of 1992 and we are dedicated to promoting Ballroom Dancing in the Richmond, VA metropolitan area. We have a 1,600 square foot wooden dance floor and state-of-the-art sound system that is used for regularly scheduled dance events and instruction.
We are not a dance studio in the traditional sense. The Dance Space is a facility that is used in the following ways:
- Holding public Ballroom Dances on a regular basis
- Providing public Ballroom Dance Group Lessons on a regular basis for both non-dancers and experienced dancers
- Rental of floor space to independent professional Ballroom Dance instructors for both private and group instruction
- Rental of floor space to established amateur and professional dance organizations for dances, classes and other events
Our Grand Re-Opening Party, September 2018:
Click below to display our monthly calendar or to show a map to The Dance Space:
The Dance Space is on the second floor of a small shopping center directly on Broad Street. It is located half way between Horsepen Road and Libbie Avenue on the North side of Broad. The studio is above the Mekong Restaurant with our entrance downstairs to the right of the Mekong.
Links to other local Ballroom Dancing related resources:
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
The Dance Space publishes a weekly e-mail to keep our customers informed about classes and events at The Dance Space. Very occasionally we may also send an important announcement to you via e-mail, like a snow-closing announcement. By joining our mailing list you are agreeing to accept these e-mail messages from us.
Please adjust your junk-mail or spam-filtering software to accept messages from firstname.lastname@example.org.