The Ace Driving School
Waukesha's premier behind the wheel instruction school
378 W. Main Street Suite #202, Waukesha, WI 53186
(262) 737- 4665
The Ace Driving School: How it Works
Thank you for your interest in The Ace Driving School! TADS was started by a long time instructor at KC’s Driving School and in partnership with KC’s we have launched our own school to better serve Waukesha and the surrounding communities. We pride ourselves with our passion and experience in safe driving instruction.
- Students can complete KC's Driving School Online Classroom ($95) and then complete Behind The Wheel training with us ($300)
- Students who complete another DOT licensed school's classroom will be charged $325.
- To get your Instruction Permit follow the steps below:
- Click HERE to begin to enroll in our Behind the Wheel Course.
- Pay for the behind the wheel course. Once enrollment is accepted we will contact you with information on how to pay.
- Below you will find answers to all of your questions. If you don’t find your answer here, send us an email or give us a call.
Driver’s Ed Requirements
In Wisconsin, if you are under 18, you must take an approved driver education course in order to get your license. The Ace Driving School is licensed and insured to provide this service.
Instruction Permit and MV3001 Form- In order to be able to drive on public roads you must have an instruction permit.
To get an Instruction Permit students under 18 must:
- Complete all 15 sessions of the KC’s Driving School Online Classroom and or another DOT approved driving school. To complete KC'S driving school Online Classroom follow the steps found HERE
- Enroll in Behind The Wheel Driving Instruction. This is accomplished by completing the form HERE
- Pay for the Behind the Wheel Course (once enrollment request is approved we will send the required information on how to pay).
- Once the student enrolls and pays for Behind the Wheel we will mail your MV3001 form to your house. If you are taking your Behind the Wheel with a different driving school, contact them for their procedure they use to issue your your MV3001 Form. It is the Behind the Wheel Driving School that issues the MV3001 form not the school that conducts the classroom portion.
- Be 15 ½ (to get their instruction permit).
- Present required documents;
- MV3001 Application for Instruction Permit/Driver License.
- NOTE: we can not email or have you pick up the form. The DMV requires an original signature from the Driving School authorized signer. We will put your form in the mail within a day or so of getting your enrollment and payment (see steps #2 and #3).
- NOTE: You MUST complete your 1st Behind the Wheel lesson within 60 days from the date that we sign the MV3001. See below for info on BTW Scheduling.
- A government issued original birth certificate.
- Social Security Card
- if you don’t have the card bring the number and another form of ID such as the student’s school ID.
- MV3001 Application for Instruction Permit/Driver License.
- Pass the written test. - The Test is given at the DMV when you go to get your Instruction Permit. The test is computer based and is pretty basic. We have a Written Test Prep page at our website HERE that will help you pass the test.
- The student’s parent or legal guardian must sign MV3001 at the DMV with the student. If the parent or guardian can not be present at the DMV there is a provision on the form to have the form notarized.
Probationary License – The probationary license is the first “solo” license. There are restrictions that limit 1 non family member in the car and no driving after midnight for the first 9 months. Also, points are doubled after the first ticket.
To get a probationary license students must;
- Complete driver education.
A. Complete 30 hours of classroom
B. Complete 6 hours of driving and 6 hours observing.
- NOTE: See info below for info on scheduling Behind the Wheel lessons.
- NOTE: See info below about the Course Completion Certification
- Have their permit for 6 months OR MORE.
- During this six months or more they accumulate at least 30 hours of driving experience (10 hours must be at night). This they do with their parents. When they drive with their parents their immediate family members can be in the car, NO ONE else.
- Pass the road test
- Students can schedule their road test (skills test) up to 11 weeks prior to being eligible to get a license regardless if they are still doing behind the wheel lessons.
- The parent or legal guardian sign stating that they are in school and have completed at least 30 hours of driving 10 of which was at night.
Course Completion Certification:
- At the student’s last BTW Lesson we will submit your Course Completion directly to the DMV computer system. It will be on file there when you arrive for your road test. There is NOT a paper copy at this time. The DMV hopefully will begin providing a confirmation but at this time they do not.
Behind The Wheel Lessons - Soon after the student obtains their instruction permit they will begin the behind the wheel lessons.
- There are six lessons two hours long each. They drive one hour and observe another student the second hour.
- Most students do their lessons about 2-3 weeks apart. However, it is up to students to schedule their appointments.
- Students need to make sure that they complete their BTW’s in time for them to get their license. Do NOT wait until the last minute to complete.
- Generally lessons are full for 2 to 3 weeks. with most students scheduling 3 weeks out. This is how we keep students on a 3 week cycle (1 lesson every 3 weeks until complete)
- All lessons are listed on the scheduling system and nothing is reserved
- Students can complete all of their behind the wheel lessons ASAP if they wish, though not less than 3 weeks from start to finish and a maximum of two lessons per week (according to state law).
- These lessons are designed to work in conjunction with the 30 hours driving practice that students are to receive with their parents (10 of the 30 hours must be at night).
“60 DAY” Rule - First Behind The Wheel Lesson
According to state law students must have their first behind the wheel lesson within 60 days of us signing their application for the temps MV3001.
Adverse Weather Conditions
We are very quick to cancel lessons when the weather is bad. More than once we have had other drivers crash into us because they were driving too fast for conditions. We cannot afford the risk to our students, staff or equipment to be on the roads when they are slick. Do NOT let yourself get behind on behind the wheel lessons and expect to get caught up during winter months.
Scheduling and Rescheduling Behind The Wheel Lessons
- Go HERE to schedule a Behind the Wheel Lesson
Scheduling The Road Test - Students may schedule their road test HERE
After School Pick Up For Behind The Wheel Lessons
Students that are being picked up right after school should look for the The Ace Driving School car and not a particular instructor and will be picked up at the following locations at 3pm and 1pm for ½ days:
- 2PM APPOINTMENTS: You can NOT take these times if you get out of school at 2:26, 2:36 or 2:45. These lessons are for students who have study hall, Harvey Philips or Home
- school or other.
- Waukesha North - by the main entrance
- Waukesha South - by the entrance on Roberta Ave
- Waukesha West - Outside the main entrance
- CMH - In front of the school
Miscellaneous Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I get my Instruction Permit signed (MV3001)?
- ONLINE CLASSROOM STUDENTS
- After you complete all 15 Online Sessions and enroll in a Behind the Wheel course your BTW Driving School will provide the MV3001 form that you will take to the DMV. Each driving school has their own procedure for getting you the form. It is best to email your BTW Driving School in advance to coordinate getting the form.
I lost my permit or my temps expired what do I do?
- A. If you have not completed all of your BTW Lessons: Call us or send us an email and we can make arrangements to get you a new MV3001 form signed. firstname.lastname@example.org
- B. If you have completed all of your BTW’s, the DMV still has your completion certification on file. You can head straight there. Tell them your "completion is on file in their computer system".
BEHIND THE WHEELS
How long do I have to complete my behind the wheel lessons?
As long as you need. Most people try and finish them quickly because you have to renew your permit after 1 year. You do have to have your first lesson within 60 days of us signing your temps application. Otherwise, take as long as you need.
What do I bring to the DMV to get my instruction permit?
1. Your ORIGINAL state issued birth certificate or passport
2. Your ORIGINAL social security card
3. A parent or legal guardian (or have your temps app notarized)
4. A MV3001 application (temps app) signed and dated within 60 days by a KTADS instructor
5. Money, there will be a fee
How do I schedule a Road (Skills) Test
As you know, you must have your Instruction Permit 6 full months before you can take a road test. You can schedule your road test 11 weeks in advance of the 6 months ending. Go to the DMV website HERE to schedule a Road (Skills) Test
What do I bring to the DMV for my road test?
1. Your permit (very important)
2. Your car
3. Your parent
4. Your Course Completion will be on file in the DMV Computer.
What do I need to do to pass the temps test?
Study the Wisconsin Motorist Handbook There are no longer printed versions. They DMV also has smart phone apps that can help you. Visit Google or Itunes for more info.
The Ace Driving School Student Agreement/Contract
Revision 01 Effective on 04/01/2018
The Ace Driving School West Inc. DBA The Ace Driving School, 378 W Main St. Ste # 202, Waukesha, WI 53186
AGREEMENT: As required by the State of Wisconsin pursuant to the provisions of section 343.71 (a) of the motor vehicle code. The Ace Driving School will comply with all rules and laws as found in the Motor Vehicle Code M.V.343 and Trans. 105. The agreement between the customer and the school shall consist of the following charges and obligations;
- Students are required to complete 30 hours of classroom training.
- Students are not allowed to complete more than 2 hours of course per day, 10 hours per week and the course must extend over a minimum of 19 days according to State law.
- Students are allowed to miss a Group Session for legitimate reasons only. All absences must be made up using our Online Classroom.
- The classroom course expires 13 months after completion. Students whose classroom has expired will be required to complete a 10 Hour Online Refresher Course.
BEHIND THE WHEEL:
- Students must begin behind wheel lessons within 13 months of completing the classroom portion.
- Students are required to complete 6 hours of driving and 6 hours observing (6 BTW Lessons).
- Students are required to present a valid Instruction Permit at each Behind The Wheel lesson.
- Students must start behind the wheel lessons within 60 days from the day the permit application (MV3001) is signed.
- Students must complete the Behind the Wheel Program within 12 months from the original issue date their Instruction Permit
- $300 - Behind the Wheel fee will be charged for a student who took an KC’s Driving School Online Classroom Course
- $325 - Behind the Wheel fee will be charged for a student who took an Online Classroom Course other than KC’s Driving School
- $15 - fee will be charged for returned checks.
- $20 - fee will be charged if a student cancels a BTW lesson with <24 hours notice.
- $40 - fee will be charged if a student does not show up (No Shows) for a BTW lesson.
- $20 - fee will be charged if a student is unable to produce a valid Instruction Permit at a BTW lesson.
- $55 - fee will be charged for a private individual behind the wheel lesson.
- Neither the MV3001 “Temporary Permit Application” nor the Course Completion will be issued if any balance is due.
- Students will be dropped from the course for disruptive, abusive or disrespectful behavior towards any instructor, staff or student, by either the student or the student's parent.
- The Ace Driving School will not refund any fee or part payment if the school is ready, willing, and able to fulfill its part of the agreement. If The Ace Driving School is no longer ready, willing or able to fulfill its part of the agreement students will receive the prorated portion of their paid fee. NOTE: When completing a combined Classroom and Behind the Wheel ½ of the total fees paid is for Classroom ½ of the total fees paid is for Behind the Wheel. (ex. $380 total fee $190 if Classroom portion and $190 BTW)
- The Ace Driving School West Inc., D.B.A. The Ace Driving School, maintains auto insurance, business liability insurance and bond insurance. The limit of each policy is established by state law. The extent of our liability for any claim for any reason is limited to the limits of these policies. If ever we are found liable for any claim, all claims are restricted to the limits of our insurance coverage.
*If there is any failure to comply with any of the above items by the student, the student MAY be removed from our program and no full or partial refund will be offered.
**This agreement constitutes the entire contract between the school and the customer, and no verbal statement or promise will be recognized.
Revision 01 Effective on 04/01/2018
The Ace Driving School, 378 W Main St. Ste # 202, Waukesha, WI 53186
To print the info above use the document below.