Original School Property
Why was the school moved from the original property?
Because the river systems of the Santa Ysabel, Guejito, and Santa Maria Creeks drain the San Pasqual Valley and converge to form the San Dieguito River, the children could not always cross the rivers to attend school. In the late 1800s, two schools were formed so children could attend year-round. But as transportation and bridges improved, it became clear to the community that one school was a necessity for financial and social reasons.
Two dairy farmers, who frequently competed with one another for business, came to an agreement to donate a section of land where their property adjoined. Edward H. Webb and William Dyer each donated a parcel of land so that this new school and district could be built and opened in 1919. Webb donated the parcel on the east side and Dyer donated the parcel on the west side. Together they created a place for the newly formed “union” of schools so children for generations could have a permanent school in the valley.
Because of unprecedented growth from the Eagle Crest development on Rockwood Road in the late 1990s, the little school was faced with a daunting task. Create a plan for building and housing the children on the current property or find another location better suited for the current citizens of the valley. Here are the main reasons why the community chose to move from the original property:
- The district only owned the 2 original acres of the full 10-acre site. The City of San Diego leased the remaining 8 acres to the district. At that time, the City wanted to increase the lease payments 15 times from their existing rate.
- Leach fields were failing and no other land was available for the sewage system. The County of San Diego would not allow additional restrooms without an elaborate and expensive pumping and storage system.
- River-based wells for drinking water were contaminated with EDB. Potable water was “borrowed” from the Wild Animal Park through an old irrigation well system. The school was almost closed down several times over this issue.
- Highway 78 became a dangerous raceway with more parents attempting to bring children to school without a turn-lane or stop sign. CalTrans decided not to provide adequate turn lanes.
- The new school property was within easy walking distance of 70% of the students saving transportation costs for the district and daycare cost for the families.
- The new school site has City of Escondido water and sewer facilities.
The primary argument in favor of selling land vs. continuing to lease property at the old site was that the District did not have the assets to finance even the minimum 50% matching funds the State requires for building facilities. The district applied for special funds designated for districts that suffer severe financial or facility hardships and easily qualified on both conditions. However, the funds given to the District were strictly for building a school or purchasing land. After those funds were gone, lease payments would come from the general operating expenses. The District’s tax base is much lower than average because of the agricultural zoning and they would not be able to afford even a fair market lease on 35 acres. The purchase of this new land and subsequent new school serves children well into the next century with facilities built for community use.
In January 2000 the State Allocation Board approved the abandonment of the San Pasqual Union Elementary School. One significant condition of approval was that the State should receive all proceeds from the sale. The San Pasqual Union School District could receive no profit from the sale of their property.
The California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) determined that the property would make a valuable addition to the San Pasqual Battlefield State Historical Park. The DPR was also working on partnerships for the successful reuse of the building, as an integral part of an expanded historical park including the San Diego Archaeological Center (SDAC) who is now using the facility as a regional archaeological curation center. SDAC's goals are to continue the building's habitability; expand its education and outreach programs in North County; and create a seamless partnership of SDAC's operations with State Parks and other historic entities such as the San Pasqual Band of Mission Indians.
The dream of Edward Webb and William Dyer lives on in the use of the old school property. This use keeps the spirit of Webb and Dyer's intentions alive, providing an educationally sound program for all children.
Information on original deed holders of land donated to the San Pasqual Union School District in 1919
Edward H. Webb (7/27/1877 – 5/22/1953) San Pasqual Valley in Escondido was married to Cora B. (Ward) Webb (9/5/1872 – 2/11/1960) in 1916. Edward was born in Minnesota and Cora was born in Missouri. Edward had three sons (Roy, Elmer, and Lester) with another wife who remains unknown (perhaps Menasco or Sinclair?); Edward and Cora were married in 1916 and Roy and Elmer came to live with Edward and Cora in the SP Valley while Lester lived with his birth mother in Santa Cruz; Cora and Edward had no children between them.
- Roy Chester Webb (9/18/1895 - 9/30/1985); spouse Esther M. Webb; Remarried to Gladys in 1973; Mother maiden name Menasco?; In 1930 he lived at 2748 Felton Street, San Diego; Occupation: owner & manager of trucking; Veteran of WWI. they had two daughters Winifred E. Webb Martindale; approx born in 1923; living in Philadelphia and Helen E. Webb Duckworth; approx born in December 1926; possibly living in La Mesa.
- Elmer Leon Webb (1/26/1893 – 6/6/1984); spouse Amy E. Webb- Remarried in 1940 to Blanche Mary Lawson Webb; Blanche had a daughter named Alyce Neumann (died 9/26/91) who was married to Edward Neumann (died 4/29/87); In 1930 he lived at 238 Hickory Street, Escondido; Mother maiden name Sinclair?; Occupation: proprietor of trucking; they had a daughter Alice E. Webb; approx born in 1924; Married Richard Inga and still lives in Escondido. They also had a son Edward E. Webb; approx born in 1927; Lives in San Marcos.
- Lester Webb; (wife unknown)- Lester had a daughter Marilyn Lash of San Jose, CA or Ohio
William H. Dyer and spouse Lucie R. Dyer had only one daughter Eunice Louise (Dyer) Maynard, who currently lives in Lee’s Summit, Missouri.
This information is current as of 2001...