Hawley High School

School Counseling Department

Bill Esterby, M.Ed., L.S.C.

Licensed School Counselor serving grades 7-9

218.483.3555 ext. 1023


Laurie Sandness-Boeshans, M.S., L.S.C.

Licensed School Counselor serving grades 10-12

218.483.3555 ext. 1025


School Counseling Office Hours: Monday-Thursday - 8:00am-3:45pm / Friday - 8:00am-3:13pm

Main Office Fax: 218.483.4802

What's happening in the school counseling office?

Hey Juniors! Applying to college may sound difficult, but you can have a dedicated coach from College Possible help you every step of the way. Get one-on-one mentoring from a recent college graduate to help you prepare for the ACT, fill out your FAFSA, and draft and edit your applications for colleges and scholarships. Check out collegepossible.org/programs/navigate, get in touch with Mrs. Boeshans, or follow College Possible on Instagram (@classof2022.cp) for more information! The deadline to apply is January 12. Apply online.

Nugget PSAs - Mrs. Boeshans is creating a series of PSA (Public Service Anouncement) videos during the 2020-21 school year around specific topics that may be useful to students. These brief videos (3-5 minutes) are posted on her Google Classrooms (grades 10-12) and emailed to grades 7-9, but can also be viewed via YouTube.

The SPARKs after school tutoring program is open! SPARKs is open to all students in grades 7-12 and is a great opportunity to get homework done before going home, to make-up a test, use a computer, get help with your homework, or work with classmates on a group assignment. Mon, Tue, & Thu 2:50-4pm; Fri 2:50-3:15pm - in the library computer lab. No registration required - drop-in as needed. Snacks provided! (No SPARKs on early out days, early school closure days due to weather, or days when students are not in school.)

SPARKs tutors needed! Juniors and seniors - tutors are still needed. Flexible scheduling, great resume builder! See Mr. Esterby to apply for a paid tutoring position.

College-bound seniors - Need your high school transcript for a college application? HHS handles transcript requests via a secure online platform called Parchment. All seniors were sent an email containing their Parchment registration code the second week of school. Once you set up your account, you can request your HHS transcript be sent to the college(s) of your choosing.

PSAT - January 26, 2021 - PSAT will be given at HHS on January 26 (the national test date). The registration deadline was November 30. Registered students will get more information closer to test day.

REACH's backpack program provides kid-friendly food to families in need to help get through the weekends when kids aren't getting school meals. These bags of food are discretely delivered to kids at school (or are available for pick-up at REACH). To sign up, complete this form or contact the REACH office directly at 218.483.3145

Students who failed a required class for graduation in the past and are in need of credit recovery should see Mrs. Boeshans. There are multiple credit recovery options available to students during the school year through either area ALCs or online independent study.

Taking care of yourself resources:

Clay County Linkup website - Clay County used some of its CARES money to build a website to support students, parents, and educators. It shares free resources including live Zoom sessions and videos about a variety of topics (self-care, parenting tips, coping strategies, fun stuff, and more). Free tutoring for K-12 students in Clay County is also available! Sign-up using your school email address (students and educators) or your personal email address (parents).

Did you know there is a variety of mental health resources available right here in Hawley? You find a list of local providers on the Mental Health page of this website.

If you are in need of emergency or crisis services, please refer to the resources listed on both our website and the Hawley Public Schools COVID-19 website.

Nugget PSAs - A series of PSA (Public Service Anouncement) videos around specific topics that may be useful to students. These brief videos (3-5 minutes) are posted on School Counseling Google Classrooms (grades 10-12) and emailed to grades 7-9, but can also be viewed via YouTube.

HHS Calm Room - a private, quiet room in the high school office area set aside for students who need a space to calm and collect themselves. To use it, simply ask any member of the office staff to show you where it is.

Virtual Calming Room - a great collection of free, easy to access resources to help you find some calm in the midst of stress or just take care of yourself on a day-to-day basis. Thanks to the Wayzata High School Counseling Department for sharing this resource!

Taking Care of Your Mental Health in the Face of Uncertainty

What do Licensed School Counselors do?

School counselors are licensed by the Minnesota Board of Teaching and are required to have a master's degree in school counseling. We have specialized training to work with all students in grades K-12 individually, in small groups, and in the classroom setting. We support students, families, and school staff so students can be successful in school! We offer support in three main areas:

  • Academics

  • Career Exploration and Post-secondary Education Access

  • Social/Emotional Concerns

Want to learn more? Check out this brochure from the Minnesota School Counselors Association!

How do students and parents/guardians connect with us?

Students can self-refer or can be referred by parents/guardians or staff members. Students can stop by our office, leave us a note, send an e-mail, or let a secretary know they'd like to see us. Parents and guardians are welcome to stop by, call, or e-mail. (You'll have better luck catching us in our offices if you call ahead!)

Hawley High School's ACT Code: 241-055