The Royal Guild of Oyers was established in 1248 under Louis IX, King of France. Limited at first to the "masters" of the art of roasting geese, the object of the guild was to perpetuate standards of quality befitting the royal table. The craft of the "Rôtisseurs" was quickly extended to the preparation of all the various meats and fowl destined for the spit or rack. The activities of the guild, under Royal patronage, included the development of an apprentice program, wage and work standards, and the conferring of appropriate honors.
In 1509, the official Coat of Arms was awarded to the guild by King Louis XII by royal proclamation. The components of the Coat of Arms are two crossed turning spits positioned between four larding needles surrounded by flames of the hearth on a shield encircled by the Fleur-de-Lis, the symbol of French Royalty. The inner chain recalls the mechanism used to turn the spit and the outer chain represents the bond which brings together the members of this ancient order. The French Revolution led to the disbanding of the guild in 1791.
In an effort to restore the pride in culinary excellence lost during the period of wartime shortages, La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs was reincorporated and the Coat of Arms of the ancient guild was restored by the French Government. At that time, the year of incorporation of the modern Chaîne, 1950, was added to the Coat of Arms.
For more on the history of the Chaine, visit the International website (see History).
More about the US La Chaine des Rôtisseurs organization:
https://www.chaineus.org/