Prof. Associato - Dipartimento di Informatica - Sapienza Universita` di Roma
I am Associate Professor at the Computer Science Department of Sapienza University of Rome, and I have the National Habilitation as full professor in Computer Science (01/B1) and Computer Engineering (09/H1).
From 2014 to 2017 I was on leave for three years, visiting the Computer Science and Engineering Department of Penn State University.
I was awarded the prize "Sapienza Ricerca 2010" for my research on autonomous deployment of mobile sensors. This prize is awarded to the best works in all disciplinary areas carried out by researchers of Sapienza University of Rome.
I won the Best Paper Award at the prestigious 17-th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP).
I am Senior Member of IEEE. I am currently in the Editorial Board of the journal Wireless Networks, which is a premier journal in my area of research. Previously I was in the Editorial Board of the journal Computer Networks. I was guest editor of the journal ACM Mobile Networks for the special issue on "Heterogeneous Networks".
I am NATO Partner Director of the Project "Hybrid Sensor Networks for Emergency Critical Scenarios" (2015-2019). I was also Principal Investigator of the Army Research Lab Project "Modeling and Robust Design of Dynamic Interdependent Networks" (2014-2015). I was also the leader of the research unit of Sapienza University of Rome of the Prin Project “Autonomic Security”.
I was General Chair of the conference QShine 2009. I was Program Chair of workshops IEEE AAA-IDEA 2005, ACM AAA-IDEA 2006. I am in the steering committee of ICST AAA-IDEA 2009.
My papers have been published by some of the most important conferences and journals in the area of computer networks: IEEE INFOCOM, IEEE ICDCS, IEEE ICNP, IEEE IWQoS, IEEE Transactions on Networking, ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, IEEE Transactions on Wireless, ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems, and IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering.
- PSU ICS Seed Grant Program (2017) "Digital innovation in food security using a 28,000 farmer living lab in Kenya", Co-PI.
- NATO - Science for Peace and Security (2015-2019) "Hybrid Sensor Networks for Emergency Critical Scenarios", NATO Project Director
- Army Research Lab Award (2014-2015) "Modeling and Robust Design of Dynamic Interdependent Networks", Principal Investigator.
- MIUR PRIN 2008 (2009-2011) "Autonomic Security", Principal Investigator of the research unit of Sapienza "University of Rome".
- EU Project GENESI (2009-2012) "GrEen sensor NEtworks for Structural monItoring", Work Package Leader.
- Sapienza University Project FARI 2009,2011,2012 "Green Computing", Principal Investigator.
- Sapienza University Project Sapienza 2006, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, Principal Investigator for projects related to monitoring critical events and network management.
- MIUR FIRB 2002-2005 "Web-Minds", Task Leader of the research unit of Sapienza "University of Rome".
- Member of the editorial board of ACM Wireless Networks (2008- )
- Member of the editorial board of Elsevier Computer Networks (2006-2008)
- Guest Editor of the Special Issue on Heterogeneous Networking of ACM/Springer Mobile Networks and Applications
- General Co-Chair of QShine 2009
- Steering Committee member of AAA-IDEA 2009
- Co-Chair of the Wireless Communications Track of IEEE ICCCAS 2008
- Program Co-Chair (with Virgilio Almeida) of IEEE AAA-IDEA 2006
- Program Co-Chair (with Ludmilla Cherkasova) of IEEE AAA-IDEA 2005
- Member of many program committees including IEEE INFOCOM, IEEE ICDCS, IEEE Secon, IEEE GLOBECOM, IEEE IC2E, IEEE ICAC, IFIP Wireless Days, IEEE QEST, BROADNETS, AlgoSensors, IEEE VTC, IEEE ICC
Awards and Recognitions
- Elevated to Senior Member of IEEE in 2016
- Best Poster Award at DoD DTRA (Department of Defense - Defense and Threat Reduction Agency, USA) Basic Research and Technical Review Meeting 2015, for the poster titled On Propagation of Phenomena in Interdependent Networks, by H. Khamfroush, N. Bartolini, T. La Porta.
- Prize "Sapienza Ricerca 2010" for my work on autonomous deployment of mobile sensors.
- Best Paper Award at the 17-th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (IEEE ICNP 2009) for the paper Autonomous Deployment of Heterogeneous Mobile Sensors, by N. Bartolini, T. Calamoneri, T. La Porta, A. Massini, S. Silvestri. This paper has also been awarded the prize for the Best PhD student paper of the Computer Science Department, from a student (S. Silvestri) I advised.
- The paper Variable density deployment and topology control for the solution of the sink-hole problem was selected as one of the five best papers of the conference QShine 2009 for journal publication.
- The paper Optimal Channel Assignment in Mobile Cellular Networks was selected as one of the best papers of the conference IEEE Dial-M 1997 for journal publication.
Thesis available for students of bachelor, master and PhD programs
Thesis opportunities are available on the following topics:
- Mathematical underpinnings of computer network performance
- Protocols for autonomous flight, coordination, routing and task assignments for aerial drones
- Network tomography
- Software Defined Networks (SDN)
- Massive failures in metropolitan/geographical area networks after disasters
- Sensor networks and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Mobile networks
For more information see the thesis page and contact me at "myfirstname"@di.uniroma1.it.